• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Civil Air Patrol ?

Lots of "squadrons" very few airplanes and pilots. Its like the GA state militia for airplane nuts. Its been dying for decades now as there is next to no Federal/state support and the numbers of GA (General Aviation) pilot/owners with the time and money (and health) to volunteer for it has dwindled.

Lots of "squadrons" very few airplanes and pilots. Its like the GA state militia for airplane nuts. Its been dying for decades now as there is next to no Federal/state support and the numbers of GA (General Aviation) pilot/owners with the time and money (and health) to volunteer for it has dwindled.
That's a shame to hear. It looks like this one is active. http://www.ga112.org/ If I can get my son interested, I may go check them out.

Yeah if you can find an active group with good members and running airplanes its great. I guess that is probably easier in the ATL area. But lots of them are just a coupla old geezers a few kids and a worn out 162.

I havent been involved with any squadrons in GA, but I grew up in Alabama and was involved with them for about 8 years. Its a great organization, there are some squadrons that dont do much. If you can find an active one they are great. CAP handles around 95% of all inland search and rescue missions that are called in to AFRCC. I went to flight school through them for $800, and was a search and rescue ground team member.

Eric's Dad was a former fighter pilot and ran the CAP in the 70-80's in the Atlanta area. I remember Eric telling me in the 4th grade that, "He was going to be a fighter pilot and astronaut." He accomplished his goals and the CAP was a big part this.
Totally worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom