• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Civil Air Patrol ?

Lots of "squadrons" very few airplanes and pilots. Its like the GA state militia for airplane nuts. Its been dying for decades now as there is next to no Federal/state support and the numbers of GA (General Aviation) pilot/owners with the time and money (and health) to volunteer for it has dwindled.

It is good for the kids, but it is extremely frustrating for adults.

I was in it @20 years ago for a couple of years. I was a commercial, multi, instrument rated pilot at the time. I just wanted to volunteer my services and maybe fly a search or two if needed and take the kids up a few times.

In two years, I flew exactly 0 of those missions. Maybe I was in a bad area-but it sure seemed like a good ol' boy club (at least for the adults.) It was impossible to get a check out for anything other than just renting the plane. Seemed like if your didn't live in PC and work for a certain airline, there was no chance of getting to do any of the fun stuff.

I got pissed and never went back. I can think of 7 or 8 other pilots who got pissed and quit with similar experiences. We were all trying to volunteer our time. And we all just got treated like ****.

-But even after all that, I would recommend the organization to anyone who has kids interested in flying. They get to do and see some cool stuff.

I went to high school with a couple of guys who were very active in it but it almost seemed like a Scout group from the stuff they did. That was in the late 70s but I think one guy got a decent college scholarship from them.

I went to high school with a couple of guys who were very active in it but it almost seemed like a Scout group from the stuff they did. That was in the late 70s but I think one guy got a decent college scholarship from them.

That's the reason they are great for kids.

They help out with scholarships-and they look good if you want to get into flight school in the military.

That's the reason they are great for kids.

They help out with scholarships-and they look good if you want to get into flight school in the military.
I remember them going caving up in N GA and a fat kid got stuck in a narrow spot & trapped half the kids in a dead end until they could move him.
Sounded like zero fun :)

I'd like to see how it goes. I got all excited about joining in Jr High when they made their presentation. But then I heard that it was mostly free labor washing air planes and such.

I remember them going caving up in N GA and a fat kid got stuck in a narrow spot & trapped half the kids in a dead end until they could move him.
Sounded like zero fun :)

What were a bunch of wannabe flyboys doing in a cave?

I think you guys would be even more disappointed with the CAP today.

That's a shame to hear. It looks like this one is active. http://www.ga112.org/ If I can get my son interested, I may go check them out.

I would encourage your son to join that squadron.

Col. Schmid is extremely dedicated to her Squadron and the CAP. She is a supporter of Wreaths Across America and the Squadron participates in that event every year.

The Deputy Commanders are very good.
They have two aircraft.
One of their members is a Blackhawk pilot who occasionally brings his company car to meetings.
A large number of former cadets have entered the Service Academies.

One of the adult officers runs the "Cyber Patriot Team". It's like a "College Bowl" activity that teaches the kids how to defend networks from attackers.

I was very impressed with the Cadets and their Officers. If your son takes advantage of the Cadet program, the phrase "Self Doubt" will not be part of his vocabulary.

My background with CAP goes back to the 80's when I was a cadet in Michigan and as an adult "Senior Member" in New Jersey. I am familiar with this squadron because my son was a member briefly. He backed out, but it wasn't because of anything to do with the CAP squadron.

If your son goes, he's going to have to commit to putting in some time and effort. And it will require effort.

I would encourage your son to join that squadron.

Col. Schmid is extremely dedicated to her Squadron and the CAP. She is a supporter of Wreaths Across America and the Squadron participates in that event every year.

The Deputy Commanders are very good.
They have two aircraft.
One of their members is a Blackhawk pilot who occasionally brings his company car to meetings.
A large number of former cadets have entered the Service Academies.

One of the adult officers runs the "Cyber Patriot Team". It's like a "College Bowl" activity that teaches the kids how to defend networks from attackers.

I was very impressed with the Cadets and their Officers. If your son takes advantage of the Cadet program, the phrase "Self Doubt" will not be part of his vocabulary.

My background with CAP goes back to the 80's when I was a cadet in Michigan and as an adult "Senior Member" in New Jersey. I am familiar with this squadron because my son was a member briefly. He backed out, but it wasn't because of anything to do with the CAP squadron.

If your son goes, he's going to have to commit to putting in some time and effort. And it will require effort.
Very good to hear, thanks! I think he's probably too young (from a maturity level) as he just dropped out of scouts. I'm hoping due to his natural math/science/engineering bent the aeronautics might appeal to him.

Back
Top Bottom