• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Civilian Shoots, Kills Man Attacking Deputy on FL Interstate

"Some people just need killin'."
On balance, I don't necessarily disagree with that. Given that I was not present at the time and that I can, in no way, make an accurate judgement call, it really does sound to me like a LEO was over muscled, panicked, and when a guy with a gun showed up got that guy to shoot the perp. Likely had the perp not pinned the LEO it would have been another "LEO shoots unarmed man" story...and while I understand that one can be in fear for one's life in a fistfight, something about this story doesn't pass that muster for me.

I wonder what the legalities of that are? I'd do the same thing and trust the system to not fry me but you never know.

Perfectly legal in Georgia (and probably Fl.). In Georgia you are entitled to use deadly force to prevent the commission of a forcible felony -- no limitation on who is committing the felony, or who the felony is being committed upon. In Georgia (and probably Fl.) the results would have been the same even if the victim of the beatings was a civilian.

In Georgia (and probaby Fl.) no limitation in "running to" the incident.

BTW, in response to a comment above, someone's life does not have to be "threatened" to justify the use of deadly force. Usually it is, but it's not strict legal requirement. Point being the law does not require to stand by and get the crap beat out of you (or watch the crap get beat out of some one else) before using deadly force.

Back
Top Bottom