• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CJ5 Brake HELP!!!!!

hjblwme

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
13   0
Reaction score
I have a 1973 CJ5. Power NOTHING, hydraulic four wheel DRUM brakes.

A few months ago I noticed that my brakes got spongy. Checked everything and appeared fine. A week later the brakes went spongy again and decided it was probably the master cylinder so I replaced it. Bench bled new master and installed. Bled entire system until I got clean fluid and no air and good pedal feel. Next morning I went to get in and drive and the pedal was spongy. Tried bleeding again and got good brakes. Again tried to drive the next day and spongy.

Decided that maybe I got a bad master cylinder so I swapped it again. When I opened it this time I noticed the fluid was black and dirty. I also figured I would do the wheel cylinders at this time. Bleed everything and get a good pedal feel. Next morning, yup you guessed it, nothing but a sponge.

Check everywhere for leaks and see one wheel cylinder is leaking and replace that again. Bleed the system again and still nothing.

I have tried bleeding with the lil woman until her leg cramps and no air, I have tried using a vacuum pump and get no air, and still no brakes. I have tried using a pressure bottle and get no air out and still can not get a good pedal.

There is no ABS, proportioning valve or anything. The lines come from the master cylinder and run down to the frame and then to each axle to a T-block to each wheel.

HELP?!?!?!?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your hard lines are good (no pin holes, often at crimped/crushed areas) but you still have rubber lines to the drums, for around $50 to $60 per set (front, rear), might be a good time to upgrade to braided stainless.

Thanks so much for the suggestions. The next thought that I am having is would I be able to go to braised lines for the whole Jeep. Meaning from the master cylinder all the way to the wheels. Or would there be too much “expansion” and give in the lines to be effective.

I’m thinking about this just to eliminate any possibilities of pin holes anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom