• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Claiming abandoned kayak?

Anytime you appropriate someone else's property you have to make sure you follow the law or you can find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

Find out what the law is before you touch it. This is a boat. Maritime laws may be in effect. Its chained up to a HOA lake property. Is the hull in the water?

In St Croix, the local criminals would cut the anchor lines on a boat anchored in the harbor. Then they would claim the vessel as abandoned and adrift as salvage.

The big score was getting one of the a abandoned Cigarette boats used by the drug cartels.

Sounds like the type of score that could turn out to be something you regret real quick
The cartels make so much money that stuff like that is just an incidental cost of doing business.

“we were notified by the Mexican air asset that the plane was sighted on the ground behind Crooked Tree near the Shipyard area, which is a very remote area. May I say that we had a possible landing spot that was already lighted for the plane to land, and we were in that area waiting, but somehow, the plane shifted and went and landed in this extremely remote area, which is not even an airstrip – it actually landed on a farm.”

When police and BDF arrived at the location of the landing, no plane or persons were in sight. They did notice, however, a mangled area of the ground with objects protruding, and saw three pieces of heavy equipment — an excavator, a bulldozer, and a tractor. They then realized that the drug plane had been destroyed and buried.

Police got someone to unearth the wrecked plane. They then recovered the engine and allowed crime scene personnel to swab the interior of the plane.”

after 30 days its yours. if they don't come get it. a woman left her car in my driveway for a few months. later on it had to be moved, so i called the junkyard to come get it. they gave me some money for it, she came back after about 4 months and said wheres my car, i said the landlord had it towed, call the junkyard LOL you just tell them, that I said you could have it.
Added another member to the list

When I was in school, there was an abandoned bike with a rusted solid chain, no seat or post, bent rims with flat tires and a missing pedal. Parked my bike next to it for over a year. Finally cut it free one day with my angle grinder and made all the repairs. Old owner reported it stolen and stopped by with campus security and reclaimed his fully repaired bike. Smooth move.
I did the same thing while at SPSU. Old ragged out bike was on a rack and hadn’t moved for 2 years. We cut it off and were riding it around on the back rim lol. Owner happened to be riding by and I had to make it right by putting a tube and new tire on it. I’m sure that dude is being supported by my tax dollars today…

How long?

As long as it takes to show up with some bolt cutters.

As you mention, it's not registered, ;probably doesn't have a serial number.

Ask the reverse question, it the former owner shows up, how is he going to prove that it his?

If it was manufactured after 1972, it has a hull id number.

There is a process you have to go through with DNR to remove and eventually claim an abandoned vessel.

If it was manufactured after 1972, it has a hull id number.

There is a process you have to go through with DNR to remove and eventually claim an abandoned vessel.

Thank you! Earlier I posted:
“Anytime you appropriate someone else's property you have to make sure you follow the law or you can find yourself on the wrong side of the law.

Find out what the law is before you touch it.”

Well, what do you know....
Any kind of kayak, canoe, or even an inflatable raft, are all "vessels" and subject to the special law about what to do with an abandoned vessel.

I helped a client get an abandoned inboard/outboard ski boat off his property through this process.
Eventually it went up for auction, and nobody bid any real money for it, so the client got to "buy it" for exactly what his storage fees were. Ended up getting it running with a little work, and then sold it to a friend who had never owned a boat before.

See this section of our O.C.G.A. statutory law.

Back
Top Bottom