• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Clamp-on Muzzle Brakes

I know Kahntrol solutions makes them as well as Witt Machine. But being that you can thread the barrel, I would go that route. Ballpark $100 then pick the muzzle brake you want, not what you are forced to take. Some folks charge less than $100, some over.

I know Kahntrol solutions makes them as well as Witt Machine. But being that you can thread the barrel, I would go that route. Ballpark $100 then pick the muzzle brake you want, not what you are forced to take. Some folks charge less than $100, some over.
I agree for the most part. Seeing that I only paid $350 for the rifle, and since it's a bull barrel, it would have been close to $150 to turn it down and thread it for normal sized brakes. Then add the cost of the brake itself and it was almost doubling what I put into it to begin with! Clamp on was the way to go for this one.

When I built my high dollar .308 I bought a Shilen barrel from Rainier Arms. I was a 18 inch bull barrel that had a freaky thread pattern. It was 3/4x24. I looked everywhere for a muzzle brake. I couldn't for the life of me find one that wasn't the size of a 50 cal. brake. So I had to have JEC customs re-drill and re-thread a brake and then turn it down to the size of the end of my barrel. I paid 165.00 bucks just for the brake. Sometimes you just have to dig in that wallet to get it done right. I know you said you got the rifle cheap so I can see your reserve for that kind of cost. That build ended up costing 1,800 without the optic. However, it will shoot circles around a Ruger Precision Rifle. I know dobbs defense isn't taking on any more work right now but they were going to thread a barrel and re-crown it for me for like 80 bucks. You should be able to get it done cheaper if you take the barrel off and just give them the barre to turn. I would check around a little and compare pricing before I made a final decision. I don't know what kind of brake you are looking at but if it's going to make the gun look quirky I would just get the barrel turned and slap an inexpensive flash suppressor and upgrade latter. I was getting an 20 inch HBAR barrel cut down to 18 and the threads and crown cut for all that it was 60-80 bucks. I forgot that's what my son wanted. It was for my sons colt match target with no flash hider and he didn't like the look. We ended up going a different route but our estimate was no where 150 bucks. That sounds insane. I would call a few more places.

There's the difference, high-dollar compared to a $350 Savage. I just wanted to make it a lot more comfortable for me and my son to shoot at the range. The Witt brake was the perfect solution for this rifle. I really couldn't be happier, it's a MOA shooter all day long.

Back
Top Bottom