• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Classic Cars converted to run on batteries...what do you think?

Classic Cars converted to run on batteries....?

• Against the idea - old cars should always have old engines

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Some gas engine updates are okay - nothin' wrong with a 5.0 in a '66 Mustang!

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Depends on the car...don't care about Monzas, but don't touch my Pontiac Super Duty

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Go for it! Electrify anything : AMC, Duesenberg, Galaxie, Tri-five or '63 Vette 427!

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Who cares as long as it takes me to the taco shop on BOGO Tuesday

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stampede

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Just my rifle, my pony and me.
53   0
Reaction score
I have owned a few classics cars & trucks over the the years and have one now. To me the sound of the old engine is part of the appeal of an old vehicle. I don't like the idea of changing any over, but at the same time it's the owner's car and they can if they choose to do so. I've read that some car clubs are saying, if you convert them - then you won't be accepted in our club.

So I was curious as to what people here think. Is it okay for any old car to be changed over or just some that are plentiful or not valuable? Does it really matter if a Chevette is converted to electric power? What about a V12 Packard, Hemi 'Cuda or 427 Shelby Cobra?

Blasphemy.
I could see a conversion in a non-numbers matching classic that is going to be driven. I had a 65 vette
with a 425 HP 350 and the 67 hood not original but a very cool and fun car. It was a mix and match build. I would be ok with a electric motor, although I would miss the bas as rumble of the side pipes.

The short of it is: It depends. Some of the classics were simply defined BY the engine!! Ripping it out for an electric would destroy the heritage not to mention the value! Now, take a 78 Monte Carlo and throw an electric in it, I wouldn't give a flip. Screw up a Super Bee??? I'll hunt you down and throw a few thousand volts through your cranium!!!

While I am a purist, like old things left original, why destroy a fine old military rifle and do a"bubba" on it. However, if it belongs to you, it's none of my business. Still to see an old '36 Chevy turned into a "modern'
" Monstrosity

Depends on the specific car, condition, and history (wrecked or previously modified, etc.).
Just because something's a classic doesn't mean it's worth more than another that's a beater.
Sometimes a mod or retro-mod could be seen as a rescue rather than a ruin.
Other than that, string 'em up.

Back
Top Bottom