• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Classic Firearms AK47 $499.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed but, we have ARs soon to be $450 and Cheap Glock (hi point) $150.
What's preventing reasonable AK prices? I'd guess demand over labor. Open up the borders and watch the prices fall.
I'd say you guessed right. With AR parts, we don't have to worry about import restrictions like we do with AKs and domestic production just has not caught up. I think the Glock v. Hi Point comparison is apples to coconuts though - both are produced domestically and the pistol market is much more stable than the rifle market.

Ok school me a bit. I though the AK platform was cheap, easy to produce and reliable. That's why it's one of, if not the most copied military rifles on the planet.

Having a country's military come in and set up shop, machining and training your workers is a far cry from a work shop in America looking to hire as cheap labor as they can find, using parts that may or may not be up to snuff. Add to this the lack of education on how the ak evolved and is engineered to work in this country, and it will lead to substandard products. The system is designed to flex, the receiver, the rivets, the barrel will whip an inch upon firing. You have people that brag about heat treating their receivers to a higher level and brag about them being harder than milspec, those people are dumbasses. That's just one example.

You add up the sum of a domestic company wanting to maximize profits by hiring cheap and sometime unskilled labor, poor engineering education, substandard parts that save money and it doesn't compare to a national military with decades of experience, proper engineering, and a well trained workforce.

A lot of those cheap AKs will shoot fine for a few thousand rounds, some much longer but your chances of getting a bad gun is much higher with them. A ton of yugos were turning up with out of spec headspace. That's why many builders just considered these complete guns as nothing more than parts kits. Most of the cheap guns aren't shot enough to even break in and develop problems. I've seen AKs in rental programs shoot themselves out of headspace and fire out of battery because they are getting more use than the average range rifle. A properly made example can shoot over a million rounds and just need barrel changes but there have been plenty of examples of these cheap guns barely making it to 10k rounds before destroying themselves.

Some people on here disagree with me because their cheap gun has shot just fine for occasional range use. That's fine. Sometimes people's budgets won't allow for anything else, but they are cheaper for a reason. It takes more of a craftsman to make a proper ak, and a craftsman's work is going to cost more than a mass produced gun made with less skilled labor

Definitely interesting. I've wanted an AK but never committed. Once I decided to commit, they were either impossible to find, over priced or I read that version was junk. Reading a US company was gonna take up the mantel, I was hopeful. Then the sticker shock hit me.

It's a totally new Caliber for me so I have to drop a few hundred for ammo and extra mags on top of the rifle cost. I can't justify the investment for myself yet again.

I don't forsee myself in a zombie apocalypse scrounging for rifle ammo. I would like it as a range toy and it would be cool to take a deer with AK irons. I don't want Junk but, an AK never presented itself to be the Rolls Royce of military rifles.

Definitely interesting. I've wanted an AK but never committed. Once I decided to commit, they were either impossible to find, over priced or I read that version was junk. Reading a US company was gonna take up the mantel, I was hopeful. Then the sticker shock hit me.

It's a totally new Caliber for me so I have to drop a few hundred for ammo and extra mags on top of the rifle cost. I can't justify the investment for myself yet again.

I don't forsee myself in a zombie apocalypse scrounging for rifle ammo. I would like it as a range toy and it would be cool to take a deer with AK irons. I don't want Junk but, an AK never presented itself to be the Rolls Royce of military rifles.
Just get an SKS :watermelon:

if the government would stop trying to outlaw and regulate ak47 so much then they could be cheaper. I want a Russian or former soviet union countries ak variant with all the original furniture and hardware, not with americna replacement parts.

imagine if in order for a mosin to be legal you needed to replace the trigger, butt-plate, bolt spring and stock with a united states product, the mosin would lose some of it's interest plus cost way more then it currently does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom