• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Classic Mustang to make roadworthy

Looks like you've got a good bit of work ahead. Does the engine need a rebuild?
All the parts came out of a running driving car maybe a week or two ago.so hopefully not. I have a couple others to rebuild, but I'm not set up to rebuild engines right now. The basic goal is to get it on the road.

Youd like a V-8 and 5 speed from a early 90s stang back in there

I put fuel injected 5.0 and 5 speed in my 73 Bronco and it's a blast to drive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm afraid that the car would have a complete rust removal and structural repair to handle that kind of power. (This engine and transmission is tiny)

I haven't looked at it in about 15 years, so who knows, the frame rails and torque boxes may or may not be sound.

It is also easier to drop the old parts and put in the ones I have. Brakes, wiring check, tires, and I'm on the road.

I expect that I could have it going in a couple weeks once I drag the car up from south Ga.

If it all turns out well structurally, then maybe down the road after the floor pans and cowl have been fixed, I might go for something bigger.
I would buy a V8 car before I converted this one really.

I'm shade tree right now. Without a shop, I'm keeping it basic.

I don't have a shop either
So I can tell you that laying down 3 sheets of tongue and groove plywood makes rolling the engine hoist around a lot easier on a gravel driveway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a 68' growing up that had non power assist drum brakes. They worked, but **** that for a daily driver...lol

If you can swing for a power assist disc conversion, go for it.

We had a 68' growing up that had non power assist drum brakes. They worked, but **** that for a daily driver...lol

If you can swing for a power assist disc conversion, go for it.
Factory brakes has a single reservoir. If you have a leak, no brakes. Most cars have two. I might swap that out.

As for daily driving, it won't do that. I have a take home work truck. I'm not restoring it, just making it basically roadworthy. Aside from a few miscellaneous parts I'm sure I'll need and tires, I'm just going to get it on the road.
Those old cars are almost all mechanical. Between what is on the car and the spare drive train parts I'm thinking there isn't much to buy. Maybe a couple wheel cylinder rebuild kits and fluids.

I got good at doing drum brakes when I drove it before. The rear bumper will attest to that. (Rear ended)

I do like ABS. Nothing like a good old fashioned skid.

I have to work out the details for the hoist. I have a concrete driveway space for it, but it is a bit sloped. I might end up getting some plywood.

Back
Top Bottom