• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Classic Mustang to make roadworthy

Several other threads on here lately have inspired me to make some life changes.
I am going to get the car where I can move it to another spot for now.
I have to put it in the driveway to reach the engine I have to go in it.
But I'm going to spend a little money at a time to focus on family and getting rid of my other junk.
I should be able to move the car to the other parking space (that I can only get to if it is driven) without a radiator or gas tank.
The parts I need to just move it are:
Rear U joint. Trans/motor mount, Maybe a brake part or two, fuel line.
We will see how it goes. I'll upload some more pictures tomorrow.

My goal it to be able to just move the car and slow/halt the rust.
I don't have the money or time to restore the car, so, it will have to be a little along.

20160702_183653.jpg

It has two transmissions in the trunk come to find out. That is why it is sagging so bad.

Oh, and the hood and hinges are toast. (Rust)

I'm pretty good at using a engine hoist on unlevel ground

Get some 3/4 tongue and groove plywood and when you need to move the engine uphill chock the front wheels of the legs
Move the back of the hoist sideways , which will pull one hoist leg back , then chock the leg that just moved back so it can't go forward and move the back of the hoist sideways the other direction

It's a little slow but you can zig zag the hoist backwards uphill on the plywood without hurting yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MRM
Nice. I've been busy with the kids after the road trip. Let me get the promised pictures.
It is missing more pieces than when I left it, and is in rough shape.
I think I may have made a mistake as I don't have the time and resources to really fix it. I might sell it once it can be moved under its own power. It is sad really. I have to realize I'm not a teenager and have more important things to do.

The bottom line is if I really want to have a nice mustang, I will be much better off buying one that is in good shape.
This one is a time and money pit. I'm going to get it on the road and drive it a bit and sell it.
If anyone is interested send me a pm.

The bottom line is if I really want to have a nice mustang, I will be much better off buying one that is in good shape.
This one is a time and money pit. I'm going to get it on the road and drive it a bit and sell it.
If anyone is interested send me a pm.
It does look like it's been pirated a good bit. Starting off with an incomplete car makes things a lot tougher and more expensive. I know it's disappointing, but it's good that your thinking clearly about it. It would be even more disappointing to realize your mistake after spending $$$ on it.

Great starter kit for dropping in a fuel injected 302 and 5 speed from a early 90s mustang
Upgrade the suspension
Get some AC working

I love the patina
I'd leave that like it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love it, patina.
The more I watch some bodywork videos, the more I think I can do it.
I'm going to get a 55 gallon drum and drop everything that will fit in some molasses water while I grind on the engine bay.
I dumped some vinegar on the roof and some of the rusty spots.
The door skins are less than 60 bucks each. Now I just need a welder and a beer buddy.

The engine has a compressor, so that is a start. I can see me now going uphill with the air on with that 100 hp putting traffic to a crawl!

Back
Top Bottom