• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Classic Mustang to make roadworthy

My inner OCD is having a hard time with the over spray. Looks better though.
The key word is roadworthy not restoration.
Sure if I had more money than the car was worth and a garage, I'd have someone else strip it to bare metal, weld new panels in, etc.
I'd probably just buy one already done.

Your ocd would really kick in if you saw what I painted over. Haha

I was going to put the engine and transmission in yesterday. There was one bolt (of 4) missing holding the trans to the bell housing. It was stripped out.
So I separated everything and the pilot bushing fell out on the ground.
I have three transmissions with bell housings and all three are different but would bolt up between the two different flywheels and clutch diameters.
Each has something wrong of varying severity.
Anyone got a 3.03 three speed or ever been in ford transmission /bell housing hell?

Instead of wire wheels use a flapper disc, if you have a 4.5 " grinder

search

I was going to put the engine and transmission in yesterday. There was one bolt (of 4) missing holding the trans to the bell housing. It was stripped out.
So I separated everything and the pilot bushing fell out on the ground.
I have three transmissions with bell housings and all three are different but would bolt up between the two different flywheels and clutch diameters.
Each has something wrong of varying severity.
Anyone got a 3.03 three speed or ever been in ford transmission /bell housing hell?
what year are the trans? and some three speeds have specific fly wheels and the input shaft has to match the pilot bearing ...a V8 fly wheel will not work on a six due to the balance internal vs external..and as versa..the larger diameter is a 200ci and the smaller is for a 170ci and the other may be a latter version

Reactions: MRM
Correct!
what year are the trans? and some three speeds have specific fly wheels and the input shaft has to match the pilot bearing ...a V8 fly wheel will not work on a six due to the balance internal vs external..and as versa..the larger diameter is a 200ci and the smaller is for a 170ci and the other may be a latter version
Also, there are long and short versions with different input shaft lengths, tail shaft legnths, drive shaft legnths. And on and on.

I have the "dual pattern" block.
I have two small pattern bell housings( 8.5") and one 9" (clutch diameter)

The 3spd 8.5" has a couple broken gears, tight input shaft.
The 4spd 8.5" has short shifter linkage and I need the long linkage.
The 3spd 9" has a stripped bell housings bolt, good gears, loose input shaft bearing to case fit.

The block is a 66 casting.

Time I have. Money I don't have.
There are ways to put a five speed in it. The crossmember, adapter plate, linkage, is 200$ give or take plus the transmission I don't have.
As it sits, I have to repair one bolt threads and install a pilot bearing.
~20$ Using the old clutch and pressure plate 9" set up.
$ for a battery,
Run it, check lights, wiring,
Then repair drum brakes that have been sitting for 15yrs.

I went from 10-30hrs of overtime/ wk for years to a straight 40 and a couple kids/ wife.
This is a low budget, slow, non-restoration, roadworthy effort.

The car has been neglected off and on over the 45yrs in the family. Sad but true.

Update.
I bought a e30 from another member and I couldn't be happier.
I do have the mustang that I need to do something to.
Next up. Put the valve cover back on and install the driveshaft.
14927305274281476480293.jpg

Back
Top Bottom