• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

clean powder

nelsonatlbuilders

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
80   0
Reaction score
anyone have experience with a pistol powder that seems to burn cleaner than most? i normally shoot hundreds of rounds at a time, and even the cleanest powders will leave a lot of crud. im looking for a nice clean burn powder for .45acp's mainly any info would be appreciated. thanks

I don't know if there are loads for the .45ACP using AA#2 (probably are, similar to Bullseye but WAY cleaner), but it is the cleanest powder I have found for powder-puff .38SPL target rounds. Leaves a few unburnt grains, but they are extremely tiny. Also meters far better than Bullseye as well. AA#2 is my new favorite...at the moment.

I've been pleased with Universal. As its name implies, it's good in a lot different rounds. I used to use a lot of Unique, but got tired of all the smoke and mess. I've been using HP 38/ W231 for a while, but this past summer tried the Universal. It ain't a high performance load, but it burns clean, and accuracy is great.

i have tried most of whats listed, except the vihatav......whatever, is the price difference that much or is it a viable powder for target shooting, i get alot of extractor problems lately with unique, trailboss, even hs6, just looking to simplify a little.

+1 on the Accurate arms #2. I left you some loads on AA #2 on your .45 acp thread. I did note lubed lead does smoke quite a bit more than FMJ's.

i have tried most of whats listed, except the vihatav......whatever, is the price difference that much or is it a viable powder for target shooting, i get alot of extractor problems lately with unique, trailboss, even hs6, just looking to simplify a little.

If you are having problems with HS6...it probably means the pressure is too low for it. I use that powder for hot .38+P loads and use a mag primer with it as well. And it still doesn't burn perfectly clean even the upper limit of .38 loadings. .45ACP doesn't run much hotter than .38 as far as pressure IIRC.

i i get alot of extractor problems lately with unique, trailboss, even hs6, just looking to simplify a little.

HS6 and Unique are relatively slow powders and can yield a lot of residue if the pressure isn't high enough. Trailboss should be a bit better, but it depends on the load. Try a faster powder. Red Dot, Titewad, or Clays. Bullseye is also very fast burning and popular for 45 acp, but has a reputation for dirtying up guns. I don't shoot it, so I can't say. I've loaded Clays in 380, 9mm, 38, 357, and 45 acp, and it is the cleanest powder I have shot in any of those cartridges. It lacks the graphite coating that many powders have, and that helps keep the gun clean. Same is true of Universal, which is similar in burn speed to Unique.

Back
Top Bottom