• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning a nasty gun stock

fishfinder

Default rank <300 posts Supporter
Tracker
26   0
Reaction score
I picked up a old Parker double barrel a couple months ago. Stock is almost black, really nasty. Does anyone know a safe cleaner that won’t remove varnish but will remove 100 years of grime? Not wanting to take away from the value of gun.

Brownells d-solve is what I use ! Mix with water 1 to 5 parts water! Use old toothbrush on checkering and sponge on rest of stock.

I picked up a old Parker double barrel a couple months ago. Stock is almost black, really nasty. Does anyone know a safe cleaner that won’t remove varnish but will remove 100 years of grime? Not wanting to take away from the value of gun.
If you just want to remove the grind that just takes scrubbing and the five to one solution. I would start with Dawn dishwashing liquid my stuff is Magic

I have some diy experiences but no professional knowledge to draw on.

I believe, you will have to remove the varnish if you want to restore the original tone of the stock. Varnish darkens and clouds with age.

I would clean it up, as others mentioned earlier, but be prepared to strip it and refinish it.

I have some diy experiences but no professional knowledge to draw on.

I believe, you will have to remove the varnish if you want to restore the original tone of the stock. Varnish darkens and clouds with age.

I would clean it up, as others mentioned earlier, but be prepared to strip it and refinish it.

On a milsurp, that is called the crust. It is the character of the stock.The dark is in the finish, not on the surface. Dirt, oil, grrase, and oxidized oil and varnish finishes.

On a pre-64 Winchester 94 I recently purchased, I used hardwood floor cleaner (not stripper) - worked on it for about an hour then Johnson’s Wax and then REN wax on the stock and metal - it turned out gorgeous with no degradation of original finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom