• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning a surpressor

It really depends on what suppressor you're cleaning. Typically, high pressure caliber cans do not require cleaning. The high temperatures will burn a lot of the carbon build up. Make sure to scrub the mounting threads with a good brush and DO NOT stick a patch down in the can. With that being said, .22 cans need to be disassembled and scrubbed. I typically use SLIP 2000 solvent on our demo cans.

I have no experience with cable cleaner.

Yea you dont have to clean rifle caliber cans. They clean themselves with the high pressure rounds going through.

I would disagree with this. You really should clean all cans. Having any material that can come loose ( carbon build up ) will act like an abrasive in the can. Plus what is in the can is not really all that good for you from a health perspective.

Further more coated metal does not absorb heat as well.

Some cans cannot be disassembled for cleaning. Part of the research that needs to be done before buying such a thing.

Some powders are corrosive, not a good long term match for a can that cannot be cleaned.

Probably ought to find out what your manufacturer recommends.

I just got my first can recently. It's a Dobbs ARC22. I am just wondering how often you guys clean them? I put 3 14 round mags through it and I could barely get the baffles out. The baffles were all stuck together and VERY dirty. I finally got them all out, separated, and oiled down but I am just wondering about maintenance. Any tricks? Advice? I have heard of people running hundreds of rounds and not really worrying about it. I just dont want to ruin this thing - its awesome. I was shooting gemtech subsonic ammo. Thanks!

Get a wooden dowel and a 10 gauge brass cleaning brush. Use the dowel to push/knock the baffle stack out. Use the 10 ga brush to clean the inside of the can of big stuff. 22lr is very nasty and cleaning depends some of ammo and if it is pistol or rifle you are using. The baffles don't have to be completely clean; but knock off the carbon and get all the lead off. ARC22 has aluminum baffles, so you can't dip them. You can also get some FireClean and coat everything inside good and that will help some.

Back
Top Bottom