• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning Milsurp bores...

daytonlawvol

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   1
Reaction score
Wanted to know talks opinions on what y'all do to clean your notes after shooting. The good old Hoppes, copper brush ten times and clean patch routine takes me HOURS to get a clean patch after shooting. There must be a better way than this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use to make a 50/50 mix of water and ammonia to neutralize the corrosive salts. I used it hot or used boiling water out of a kettle Then I would f/u with hoppes or CLP. I like to check them daily for the next week to ensure no corrosion.

alleycat alleycat

I use my wife's electric kettle to boil water and clean bores after shooting corrosive ammo.

But for a new colt to the stable I mostly use CLP but it seems to take FOREVER, kinda like you said.

In for more info!

Bolt and other loose parts soak in hot tap water with "Simple Green", a scrub and rinse. After drying a wipe down with a rag with Balistol. Bolt is lubed with the Balistol / beeswax mixture from the swiss rifle forum.
Bore gets hot tap water rinse with the kitchen sprayer. Then Balistol and a bronze brush, patches till clean, and finally a swatch of "Neverdull".
Not a shortcut but it's what I do for corrosive ammo.

I think I could use a bronze brush and Hoppe's bench rest liquid until the end of time on a few milsurps and they would never have clean patches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After reading that link I'm not going to be able to sleep wondering if rust is building up under my copper deposits in the barrel.

OH THE HUMANITY!

Meh.....I believe that the internet 'experts' exaggerate how fast the damage can occur. A light cleaning at the range with a full cleaning back home has served me well for a long time and with so many different types of weapons and ammo.

Back
Top Bottom