• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cleaning Stainless Steel

Does all this apply for maintenance of a high gloss polished handgun?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
Mothers works very well on highly polished coatings. It leave absolutely no scratches at all. It's just enough to remove carbon around the exit ends of a revolver cylinder but easy enough to use on all types of finishes. Nickle, stainless what ever has a highly polished sheen.

I second the motion for Mother's if they mean the mag and aluminum polish
upc ending with 05100. The Eagle One Nevrdull posted reads as if it's about
same as Mother's. Will clean and shine but won't alter original finish whether
matte, brushed or mirror.
Even more gentle and an excellent protectant is Renaissance Wax a micro-
crystalline polish developed by British Museum to protect exhibits from harmful
elements such as pollution, humidity, sunlight. Use very sparingly, little goes long
way. Will protect metal parts well enough to skip a coating of oil other than the
moving parts that need lubrication.
I did use Metal Glo cream polish on Stainless cylinder of NAA mini to change from
brushed finish to mirror finish. Mother's made sure all the Metal Glo residue was
removed, then Renwax sealed the deal, pardon the pun.
I will elaborate on Greg's suggestion to "use an old sock to polish it with" by adding
any old clothing that is 100% COTTON makes good polishing rags. Hope this helps

Does all this apply for maintenance of a high gloss polished handgun?
Only addition I'd make to my previous comment on cleaning products is that cleaning cloth can
leave polishing swirls or marks not just the cleaning product. That's where 100% cotton helps
as well as using less pressure, let the cleaner do the work. Also a damp cloth for application
seems to reduce chance of leaving marks as well as turning cloth often along with less pressure.

Now I'm no restoration expert and nobody ask me to get their 1929 Duesenberg ready for the
Pebble Beach Cours de Elegance. But after nearly half a century of detailing cars and other stuff
back to best condition they can be after years of use or abuse it's just about impossible not to
have learned sOmEtHiNg about cleanup & maintenance.

Back
Top Bottom