• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Close Encounter!!!!! WOW

View attachment 1897318 Not to hijack your thread but This beautiful lil feller was found dead in the road today.
No worries! The raptors are impressive animals, to say the least. As I said in the original post, I have several Redtails clutch here every year and also four or five species of owls that we're lucky to see every once and a while. Many is the night that I sit out here in the woods and listen to the screeches and howls these birds let loose. Some of them will curl your skin! LOL

That's cool! I have never been lucky enough to see one in the wild. Saw one of these at a customer's house. Not sure what it is...
20180404_122325.jpg

Attachments

• 20180404_121954.jpg
    20180404_121954.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 9
That's cool! I have never been lucky enough to see one in the wild. Saw one of these at a customer's house. Not sure what it is...View attachment 1897449
I'm going say it is a Redtail Hawk. They're impressive also. We have some folks who are much better qualified than me on here, but the scale of the bird and the coloration sure does look like it.

They are truly majestic! We are fortunate in Rome GA to have (2) Bald Eagle nests on the Berry College campus. The main one is located on the front campus and they actually had to relocate the planned building of their football field so as not to disturb the nest. Berry has set up cams so you can view the Eagles in their natural habitat. This has been set up for a few years now and we have gotten to see the hatchlings via the cam, it is pretty neat.

Here is the link in case you want to check it out.
https://www.berry.edu/eaglecam/
(you may have to copy and paste)

Also they have a viewing area set up below the nest and you get to see them in person.

Growing up, we had 10-12 bald eagles that roosted down the dirt road. They were juveniles so not "bald" yet. They were there for the summer and then gone. We have many hawks and owls that we see almost daily. We feed them a chicken or two semi weekly :) When the gf comes in fussing about a chicken missing, I tell her that the wildlife have to eat too. Daddy shoots squirrels and leaves them in the front yard for Oscar the owl to eat.

59439_10150265063115355_4548551_n.jpg

Fear Itself, I had the same thing happen to me last week. My MIL passed away in Kansas City, and I was driving up for the funeral. On I-24 just south of Land Between the Lakes, I had one fly across right (about 20 feet) in front of my windshield. My Wife said it was probably her Mom flying free :)

Speaking of raptors, I had forgotten the volume of really big Red Tails around western Missouri. Big arse hawks are a dime a dozen up there.

Update, the Eagle was spotted again this morning in the same general area by a friend of mine. My wife had made a FB post describing yesterday's events and he was purposely looking on his way into work. Hopefully this bird will make a permanent roost here if he doesn't already have one nearby!

Back
Top Bottom