• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

@cmshoot, Is this excessive bolt cam pin wear and should I replace it?

I would replace it. I wouldn't call it overly worn, but it's at the point that I would replace it if it were in my AR.

A cam pin will usually wear to a certain point, and then stop. The issue is that the pin can be inserted in either direction. Doing so causes wear to both sides of the pin, which greatly weakens the cam pin.

Companies like Forward Controls Design and Centurion Arms now mark their cam pins so that you can orient it in the same direction every time. In theory, this should result in a stronger, longer lasting cam pin.

I took all the cam pins that I already had in use, or in my personal inventory, and engraved an arrow on the head of each one with a handheld electric engraver. Ain't pretty, but it works. Since then, I only by the FCD/SOTAR cam pins.

There are no negatives to doing this, and it doesn't cost anything, so why not do it? I say that, but sooner or later some window licker will come along with something asinine.

Here's an earlier post I wrote about this, with a link to a SOTAR video explaining it.

I would replace it. I wouldn't call it overly worn, but it's at the point that I would replace it if it were in my AR.

A cam pin will usually wear to a certain point, and then stop. The issue is that the pin can be inserted in either direction. Doing so causes wear to both sides of the pin, which greatly weakens the cam pin.

Companies like Forward Controls Design and Centurion Arms now mark their cam pins so that you can orient it in the same direction every time. In theory, this should result in a stronger, longer lasting cam pin.

I took all the cam pins that I already had in use, or in my personal inventory, and engraved an arrow on the head of each one with a handheld electric engraver. Ain't pretty, but it works. Since then, I only by the FCD/SOTAR cam pins.

There is absolutely no negatives to doing this, and it doesn't cost anything, so why not do it? I say that, but sooner or later some window licker will come along with something asinine.

Here's an earlier post I wrote about this, with a link to a SOTAR video explaining it.

I figured you'd be on the ounce of prevention better than a pound of cure side of it. I replaced it with a new pin. $6 seems a tiny amount of money compared to failure in a match.

Did someone call for a window licker? Whatcha need?
I think you're supposed to enlighten us by telling all that the bolt cam pin is designed to last at least 1,000,000 rounds and even if it fails, the BCG will work just fine as long as it stays in the rifle. That or some other Fuddlore type shyte.

I think you're supposed to enlighten us by telling all that the bolt cam pin is designed to last at least 1,000,000 rounds and even if it fails, the BCG will work just fine as long as it stays in the rifle. That or some other Fuddlore type shyte.
Actually I was going to tell you to sell your AR’s with the underpowered cartridge that were invented by a hippie and manufactured by the Mattel toy company and failed us so often back in ‘Nam we had to pick up Charlie’s AK…so you should invest in a good FAL…
”the right arm of the free world!”

(How’s that for some bonafide Fuddlore?) 😉

Disclaimer: this was tongue-in-cheek humor and I’m way too young to have stories about ‘Nam outside of sucking on a teet, crapping my diapers, and crying my way through most of it.

Actually I was going to tell you to sell your AR’s with the underpowered cartridge that were invented by a hippie and manufactured by the Mattel toy company and failed us so often back in ‘Nam we had to pick up Charlie’s AK…so you should invest in a good FAL…
”the right arm of the free world!”

(How’s that for some bonafide Fuddlore?) 😉

Disclaimer: this was tongue-in-cheek humor and I’m way too young to have stories about ‘Nam outside of sucking on a teet, crapping my diapers, and crying my way through most of it.
A FAL would be good, the Aussies used 'em and they could shoot the NVA and VC's ammo but the NVA and VCs couldn't shoot the L1A1's ammo 'cause their AKs would blow up from the strength of the cartridge.

Disclaimer: I was 9 years old when we lifted the last helicopters off the roof of the American Embassy so I have no stories of 'Nam other than what I've been told by folks who claim to have been there, "in the ****." Most Vietnam vets I know to have served in combat units rarely speak of their experiences.

Back
Top Bottom