• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

@cmshoot, Is this excessive bolt cam pin wear and should I replace it?

I think if you wrap it in a foil gum wrapper from a DoubleMint gum stick, you'll get a lot more life out of that thing. It will light right up for ya.

Or is that for something else? Maybe it was Juicy Fruit. Hell, I don't know, I'm dumfused!
Thanks for that pro tip!

A FAL would be good, the Aussies used 'em and they could shoot the NVA and VC's ammo but the NVA and VCs couldn't shoot the L1A1's ammo 'cause their AKs would blow up from the strength of the cartridge.

Disclaimer: I was 9 years old when we lifted the last helicopters off the roof of the American Embassy so I have no stories of 'Nam other than what I've been told by folks who claim to have been there, "in the ****." Most Vietnam vets I know to have served in combat units rarely speak of their experiences.

Here's a piece of lore for you...my Mom's 1st Cousin was the pilot of that final helicopter that lifted the last folks off the embassy back then. He was shot down at least nine times and just kept going back for more. Retired in 1990 after a long stint as CO for the Marine Bases in SoCal, and now is living a life at 85+ years young. A great dude, with many stories.

Edit: Forgot to add this; Upon his return from 'Nam, he was PIC for Marine 1 for Nixon and he was at the controls on Tricky Dick's last departure from the White House, too. Like I said, he's got some stories...some that he can only tell you right before he kills you.

I once heard about a man who whittled a cam pin from a chunk of cured JB Weld.

But yours isn’t that bad. All yours needs is a coat of rubber cement and a wrap of foil hvac tape. Trust me, I’m a former salesman.
That was first thought. Take the JB weld I bought 8 years ago and carve a new one, drill a hole for the firing pin and viola!

Back
Top Bottom