• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cobb Galleria Carry

I have always assumed it is privately owned as a for-profit business, and thus the only law that would come into play would be the possibility of them using the "criminal trespass" law if they ordered you off the property for violating a no-guns rule, and you argued with them about it rather than leaving.

But this article makes me think that it's a quasi-government facility, being owned by a specially chartered corporation (the Authority) set up by the government to serve, at least in part, government interests. That would mean that if (if) it were a government building, they could make the facility off-limits under penalty of criminal law by having meetings there or having the administrative offices of that "Authority" there, AND setting up security screening at the entrances.

I haven't been to the Galleria in 15 years, so I don't know what type of security, if any, they have at the place.

This page from the Cobb Galleria's website shows they are a publicy-chartered Authority, created by the government for government purposes,
and that they DO hold regular meetings of the Authority in the main conference center of the Galleria.

So, if they have security checkpoints at the entrances for visitors to clear on their way in, they can ban guns, per OCGA code section 16-11-127.

I have handled Nighthawk handguns available to everyone on a table at the knife show there. I know people who carried there at the knife show. I assumed the laws were like all other malls in Georgia.
Thanks for the research GaLaw

Unfortunately, none of that is posted anywhere I could see. The doors did not have a no weapons signage either. I may or may not have been armed, no one will ever know. Also, if going to see the "motorcycle" show, don't waste your time or money. Just a bunch of booths selling gutter guards, sex toys and some leather goods. A few tourist boards from NC and VA, I beleive. Lots os lawyer trinketry. I was expecting to see all the manufacturers there, only BMW local dealer and MV Agusta, expensive! WOW was there with a bunch of used bikes. We made the best of it.

Back
Top Bottom