• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cobra "Big Bore" derringer in .38 special

6D147E6A-DC50-4F4E-921A-8ED9FC50C336.jpeg
DF0B9C4E-4D74-4C2F-BB81-FA16E6D7DCEB.jpeg
My brother has one, he’s upgraded the safety, trigger etc. I’ll see if I can get him to chime in. I prefer the Bond Arms

The Bond Arms are cool litte guns, but the trigger is terrible, heavy and has an odd pull. If you want to carry around a couple 410 shot guns shells full of self defense ammo, then get a Bond

Cut & paste directly from Bond Arms website conversations:

Trigger
Bond notes that the trigger pull for the Backup 45 is 6-7 pounds, something I needed to confirm on a gauge. True to its word, Bond has my Backup 45 right at 7 pounds, but that is only through using the correct trigger stroke … something that I had to learn, and will need to practice. I found out the hard way that squeezing the derringer’s trigger directly back to 3 o’clock (as I have done with every handgun I have owned over my lifetime) results in a trigger that is nearly impossible to engage. My first few shots required a two-finger (both index fingers) pull, and I initially thought there was a problem with the firearm. Re-checking the booklet more carefully, I saw the fine print that clearly stated a trigger pull back and down (to 5 o’clock) was the proper way to engage the trigger. Once again, Bond instructions were accurate, and as I acclimated to the 5 o’clock pull, the trigger became much easier to work. It is still a bit heavy, but should lighten up with usage. Another note from the Bond booklet … dry firing with Snap Caps IS NOT recommended; spent brass is the correct option.

trigger pull is 7lbs...

So my girlfriend happened upon one of these a few years ago and when we started dating I knew I just had to take it to the range at some point. Well, that time was yesterday.

www.weaponplace.ru_images_cobra_derringer.jpg

i170.photobucket.com_albums_u250_Nu_Agin_Shooter_Cobra.jpg

I took this to the range along with a few other guns and gave it a whirl, and I will say it was both the most fun gun to shoot out of the bunch and also the worst. The fun factor is the fact that youre shooting a freakin over-under derringer, it doesnt get much more sketchy than that. Add in the fact that it is single action and cowboy awesome and you can't help but feel a little bit like the poker game at the saloon just got real.

The not so cool part is that this thing is SCARY. It is not only super small and difficult to handle, but it also has the heaviest trigger known to man. I am talking 20lbs or so; quite the difficult pull when youre holding on to a gun the size of car key. Anyway, the trigger made any semblance of aiming go right out the window. Shooting center mass at 5 yards was difficult, with more rounds going into the head than the torso of the silhouette.

Now, of course this gun was not designed for shooting at a distance, even 5 yards was a stretch for the effective range of this thing. I would say 5 feet is more realistic, and if possible go ahead and try to get closer just to be sure. In fact, see if you can just press it right up against the target. Do you have a knife instead? It could be more effective.

Still, for what it is, and how much it costs, it might be worth picking one up just for the laugh factor when you pull it out at the range and act tough. Seriously, it is difficult to feel manly while holding this thing, but the smile on my face made up for it ten fold.

[Broken External Image]:

Back
Top Bottom