• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Code reader

jloneill17

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
165   0
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me a good code reader to buy? Looking to spend no more than $120. Just not sure which is the best. I own a ford, gmc, and Hyundai. Thanks

At that budget I suspect you'll be looking at generic readers. Try browsing Amazon and look at the specs and features you're looking for. Another option nowadays are android based programs using a cable, or often bluetooth, to connect. These often give a bigger bank for the buck functionally. Always new stuff coming on the market.

What do you want to be able to do ?

For example, I use an android program with a Bluetooth dongle on a BMW. A BMW specific unit is quite a bit, but the software and dongle were around 100 and something, and allow you to code a lot of the BMW functionality a standalone reader doesn't provide.

Just read what's wrong with my cars, so I can fix them, reset codes, that kind of thing. Was looking at this one

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181123-092707_Amazon.jpg
    Screenshot_20181123-092707_Amazon.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 26
That'd work fine. There are readers from around $30 which do the same things, from there, you're usually paying for screen size and ease of use features.

Since ODB is a standard, they're all doing pretty much the same thing, (there's not much else they can do), so read the reviews and pick the one with the user interface you like best.

I bought a cheap one at Harbor Freight. Spent about 20 bucks. I have GM vehicles and also use it on a friends Hyundai. It works great. I’d give it a shot and save the $100 bucks.

Bought a top of the line Actron years ago when it was about $250 , probably cheaper now, but I've used it a lot on all of our vehicles. Saved me a lot of time and money.

I'm looking for a cheap code reader... I hear there are some "scanners" and
"diagnostic tools" that look similar, but cost more.

But I'm not a mechanic-- not even the shade tree kind.
So I don't know if the more detailed information a "scanner" would give me would be understandable and useful to me. I'd like to spend a small amount- $20-$60.

What do y'all think of this one from Wally Mart?

9FA40F50-435D-4709-ADCE-8804531EB3CC.png

Back
Top Bottom