• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Codes, permits, inspections for a pole barn

adrianrog

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
53   0
Reaction score
Given all the different folks that read here, I'm hoping there is someone that can point me in a direction to find some answers. I'm getting ready to build a simple 40x60 pole barn. I have the materials and am ready to start. I live in Carroll county, so, info specific to my county would be especially helpful. I live in the county, not in any city, and am on more than 20 acres of land.

All things being equal, I'd like to have the barn properly permitted. Where can I find a simple layman's guide to the building requirements for a pole barn? What kind of things is the inspector going to look for? How hard are the inspectors in my county to deal with? Is it worth getting the building permitted? Would it be appropriate to call the building inspector and ask what he's going to look for and what I need to do to make sure I pass? What's likely to happen if I skip permitting?

FYI:
I checked and the 3 people that live closest to me have barns of a similar size. One is 50x50 and valued at 34K and was permitted. One is 40x40, valued at 33K and was permitted. One is 40x60, valued at 2.5K and was not permitted. Weird, huh?

Thanks,
Adrian

Always do the least amount of work to get it passed. Then once you have the permit you can then add power and lights. That's were they will get anyone most of the time. They will probably want all wires run in conduit with boxes at conjunctions and possibly multiple grounds around the barn, especially at breaker box. Good luck with the barn and we are always in for pictures 😁

what are your intentions with your barn? Fully enclosed? Will you build a barndominium? This will determine what amount of power you will need which will significantly increase the scope.

I can’t image there being to much to a plain pole barn as far as inspections go. There may be regs pertaining to building close to water or in floodplains..

I'm in Carroll county and I built a 40x60 in 2020,right in the heat of the pandemic which made permitting easier since the county didn't want any more in person contact than necessary. If I remember correctly the building inspector only came out once to look things over before we poured the slab and the Electrical inspector showed up at the end to sign off on the panel and such. I don't know if you'll be as lucky now but the best of luck to you.

Back
Top Bottom