• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Codes, permits, inspections for a pole barn

I built one with no permit about 20 years ago. It’s closed in. No power. The tax man came nosing around while we were at work. It’s now listed as a out building on tax statement.

All things being equal, I'd like to have the barn properly permitted.

It is easy to apply for your own permit and you can do it online here. https://carrollcountyga.com/160/Building-Permits

Should you decide to do it without a permit, make sure you follow all code restrictions. That way if a neighbor doesn't like your project, you will not have to correct code violations.

what are your intentions with your barn? Fully enclosed? Will you build a barndominium? This will determine what amount of power you will need which will significantly increase the scope.

I can’t image there being to much to a plain pole barn as far as inspections go. There may be regs pertaining to building close to water or in floodplains..
Initially, it's just a pole barn with no walls as a place to park a truck, tractor, camper, etc. Eventually, I'm sure I'll add walls, water, power, etc, but not initially. This started off as a firewood shed and ended up being a 40x60 barn.

Initially, it's just a pole barn with no walls as a place to park a truck, tractor, camper, etc. Eventually, I'm sure I'll add walls, water, power, etc, but not initially. This started off as a firewood shed and ended up being a 40x60 barn.
I can imagine planning and zoning will want to see engineered drawings (should be provided with building package) submitted and maybe footing specs…I wouldn’t think much more than that. Go ahead and get the power pulled from the closest pole and have a panel set And inspected. After that, do everything yourself and save the hassle of additional inspections.

Only thing about that is if you were to sell everything and it’s completely done with walls and ceilings and can lights etc, could be a booger without record of licensed and inspected work. but that’s also up to the pickiness of the buyer.

I built My 22x32 myself from scratch in rural Hall co. about 15 years ago with no permit, I dont have power other than running an extension cord from the house when I need to, Ive never had a problem with the county other than they bumped My taxes up little a few years after I built it.

I would just get the permit. A pole barn should only need a crude drawing depicting what you plan to erect. Should be very minimal cost and I think you’ll find the inspectors very easy to deal with as an individual.
Edit: If you are using a pre-fab package they will want to see manufacturers design and load calcs. etc.

Back
Top Bottom