• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coin collecting

Talos

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Hew many foe-men.
66   0
Reaction score
Has coin collecting been awful for anyone else? Banks wouldn't give me more than a few rolls at a time becuase "coin shortage" so I figured I'd just save enough of them to make a box and then trade out boxes at a time. Then on top of that, lobbies being closed made it hard. Finally they have their regular hours back so went to trade a box in for another and they told me they didn't have enough. Like seriously? How does a bank not have at least one box of pennies. Anyway, maybe just small town banks have that problem. Going to try trading it out at a bigger bank.

Banks order their cash & coin inventory from the Federal Reserve based on average usage. Just like Walmart will not order 250 cases of one type of tuna a week if they only sell 150. A small bank branch may very well not use an entire box of pennies in a day. A larger bank might average, say four boxes on a particular day, and that's probably all they'll have on hand that day.

I've ordered boxes of halves before searching for 40% & 90% silver. I always used the same branch, my home branch. I build a relationship with the manager, and let her know that I'm a deposit and loan customer, as well as a coin collector. If you want a box of pennies, ask the manager of your branch to order you one from the Federal Reserve. Randomly walking into a bank where no one knows you is hit or miss at best.

I've been thinking of trying boxes of halves. How often do you find silvers in them?
Not as many as I used to. The last time I went through a box which was 2015 or so, I found 2 40% Kennedy's and one Benjamin. Early 2000s I would find a lot more.

Much like milsurp collecting, I got into coin collecting too late lol.
I know a guy in Cedartown that goes to the bank almost every Monday morning. He takes a box of doughnuts for the staff. The manager or tellers will call him if someone brings in a bunch of rolled coins that look old, like due to a death in the family where the next of kin knows nothing about silver coins. He goes to the bank and buys the lot. I'm told he's hit big a few times.

it is difficult to imagine anyone that would collect post 1992 zinc pennies with a copper coating the thickness of which is measured in angstroms. I guess it is part of keeping up an illusion the it is actual money.

I just sold my coin collection through "Great Collections". They got really strong prices for my coins (mostly US, all PCGS graded) and paid 30 days after auction closing. Turned that money in to 90% silver and .999 1 ounce bars and now I'm out of the collecting business. Only thing I have left is a bunch of Masonic Pennies, encased cents and older trade tokens.

Enjoy going through your rolls. I used to find a lot of silver in the Half Dollar boxes but not so much anymore.

If we ever have the ODT gun show (scheduled for some time next year), I have a LOT of wheat cents and I'll roll them all up and put them on the table at a good price.

I’ve been collecting for 44 years. The hobby is dying with little recruitment . With lots of counterfeit Chinese coins floating around I’m reluctant in buying. The last ten years I’ve been working on specific coins. Covid killed the few coin shows I would on occasion go to. Just some random thoughts on coin collecting

Back
Top Bottom