• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold Tracers. Somebody try this and let the rest us know how it works!

It is a Sticker like thing you stick on the bottom.....My guess is it is like a glow stick....Like how you would make a "glow stick" at home.....A little bit of
Diethyl Phthalate
TCPO
sodium acetate
Rhodamine B (for the red color)

And then some form of Peroxide in a separate pressure sensitive inner capsule so that when fired the compression would disperse the peroxide throughout making it Glow....

All this in a little Sticker sized thing...

Just going to add
If they used
9,10-bis(phenylethynyl)anthracene instead of the Rhodamine B it would give a bright green glow
Rubrene for yellow ( Lot brighter than green or red)
9,10-diphenylanthracene for blue (Very Bright Violet color)

Side note: The way Glow sticks work is by having the above in the tube, with Peroxide in a small glass tube inside.....That is why Glowsticks make the crack sound when you "break" them, allowing the peroxide to mix in and allow the reaction to start....
olchevy is a chemist!

Or a rocket scientist! Hey Chevy, how about we mix up a batch to put on shoot and see target stickers? If we did that would the targets light up when we hit them? Sounds like a money maker to me. LOL

I highly doubt it, cause if you shot them you would be puncturing the capsule throwing it everywhere,It might glow to some degree but not probably like you are thinking. Plus some of the above materials mentioned are expensive and the only way for it to make sense would be if it was bought in large bulk and I mean BULK. I am not a chemist by any means....lol...Just have had a LOT of chemistry classes in College and I was trying to convince the Chemistry professor to let us mix this up as a Lab.

I wonder how indoor ranges would feel about these? I mean it seems it would be an issue for a range to know who is using cold or who is using hot. Is there a way to to visually determine or confirm that what you are shooting is cold, besides firing it? Just wondering.

I wonder how indoor ranges would feel about these? I mean it seems it would be an issue for a range to know who is using cold or who is using hot. Is there a way to to visually determine or confirm that what you are shooting is cold, besides firing it? Just wondering.

They would just have to trust you. It's all internal so their would be no Visual way to see.

Back
Top Bottom