• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold weather function checks/ lubricants

see when I FL my rifles, Ive always put on a somewhat heavy coat and let the parts sit for a few. After 10-15 min, I wipe away majority of the excess and reassemble the rifle. Never had any issues in the summer but, Im curious to see what happens here when its starts getting pretty cold. Then again, its on my AK so its not like anything could really happen, its not like its an AR:evil:
In my ARs, the issue manifested when the guns all began to short stroke. Pulled the BCG and they were literally sticky. I stripped the FL off and the guns were 100% again.

All we ever used was Hoppes when I was a kid. Dad and I went out one evening and the temperature dropped to around 10 degrees. Most miserable time I've ever spent in the woods. Anyhow, the action of his M88 Winchester was froze up and we had to unload it in the house later after the oil thinned out. A lot of the AR guys are using Mobil 1 synthetic on their guns. I plan to do the same when my economy size bottle of hoppes runs out.

All of guns that I carry outside are my carry pistols which are iwb and warm against my skin. Don't think it would ever be an issue, but it might if a gun was left in a vehicle overnight I suppose....

A good all around cold weather lube is______________? I run mostly 1911's....Meaning I own ONE, that I carry, and depend on. Carbon slide, aluminum frame, pretty tight gun...Any recommendations?

www.hoppes.com_getmedia_3cd45a5c_8ad7_46ee_bc1c_3a944803e585_182de85d0dc119caf36104d71fe536979.png

I'll go one better than motor oil

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

I've run Mobil one tranny fluid for years... 0 problems...even ran it in my Bullseye 45s which are tighter than most any 1911 you've ever touched.

the Lubriplate's FMO-AW is great stuff also. I get it from WBC Ind. or you can try here

http://lubrikit.com/

the Lubriplate SFL-0 grease is great stuff too.

nothing fancy about gun oils...

Last edited:
What is a "Bullseye 1911" A maker or model? I have never heard of one that I can recall ..

A 1911 that has been fitted VERY TIGHTLY for Maximum ACCURACY, sometimes even at the expense of Reliability--The BEST Bullseye guns will group ten shots into an inch and a half, maybe two inches, at FIFTY YARDS, with good Ammo, from a Ransom Rest...HTH....mikey357

A 1911 that has been fitted VERY TIGHTLY for Maximum ACCURACY, sometimes even at the expense of Reliability--The BEST Bullseye guns will group ten shots into an inch and a half, maybe two inches, at FIFTY YARDS, with good Ammo, from a Ransom Rest...HTH....mikey357

Ahh.. 10-4.. never heard, learn something new erry day :D

I've been hearing this for awhile. It makes a lot of sense. Had a few guys tell me they were using it but haven't seen it tested under extreme conditions yet. I would think it would probably work. One concern I have is whether it would work on an "exposed" system vs. an "enclosed" one.
In otherwords, inside a vehicles engine there is no where for the oil to escape or "bleed" out to whereas many parts of a gun are open to the outside environment. Others may have personal experience that would be interesting to hear.
Ive also used the James Yeager method of hi temp bearing grease on an AR/Glock very sparingly and wont burn off after 2000 rounds

So, what makes transmission fluid better than motor oils for this purpose? And the big question: Are there red spots on your clothes?

I have been known to use reel oil, and on occasion light machine oil. I haven't noticed any ill effects, but tend to gravitate towards the rem-oil when I buy it. I seem to remember someone doing research on graphite based finishes or maybe it was lubricant, can't remember which.

I get a kick out of the little lubricant wars. Sig: grease, Kimber: no grease, Glock: a dab o' grease. ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom