• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cold weather function checks/ lubricants

Very interesting thread , I'm placing my XDS lubed w/ FL in the freezer to test it . Will post results in about an hour

Cool.. let us know.. I have not used any of my FL since I had a bottle that seemed to go "stale" or just didn't have the liquid property it did when new and also does not smell the same..

Very interesting thread , I'm placing my XDS lubed w/ FL in the freezer to test it . Will post results in about an hour

It's your test but I'm not sure one hour is long enough for the lubricant to harden... maybe it is.
I've had to stop classes & "clean out" guns that were overlubed (or had the wrong lube) & had been out in the cold overnight (in vehicles) or exposed to outside temps under 40 degrees for a few hours. They simply would not function. Some were sluggish while others were locked up tight & difficult to even breakdown.

Last edited:
Ok I placed my EDC in the freezer on high setting for 50 minutes,
I applied FL per the label using a hair dryer to heat the metal to absorb the FL,( I do this once month)
This weapon was recently fired about 50 rounds last week and not touched,ie cleaned afterwards
the outside of the weapon(slide) had a whitish film on it. I preformed a function check, the weapon was a little tough to rack, but didn't stick or FTF or FTE.Trigger was fine and smooth.

The weapon was extremely cold to the touch, but as stated earlier maybe 50 minutes isn't long enough .
I plan to let it sit for much longer tonight to to see if it gums up.

FWIW, back in the day we used Breakfree on our weapons when we deployed to the arctic( very light film) both M16 and AKMS, we never had a problem . We had issues with the 5.56 ammo but other than that our weapons rocked and rolled when called a pond .

I think there should be a sticky on this subject, IMHO

wilco out

I've used FL and have had no problems shooting outside in the low 20's with an ice cold gun. You have to use it correctly. Clean thoroughly and apply a light coat before heating, wiping off the excess afterwards. If it's sticky, you didn't clean out the old lube all the way. There's nothing in FL to result in a sticky lube unless it mixed with a petroleum residue. I've also seen some people with way too much FL in their gun. When applied properly, the gun will look dry, not wet or pasty.

-your resident ODT PhD Chemist

Yeah, not sure what's goin on with all the FL bashing. It's a good lube. I've never had an issue using it in 100 degree weather or 30s. I'm no oper8tor though.

Back
Top Bottom