• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coliseum Medical Center, Macon

That's funny. And you Microtech collectors are funny as he'll to me about models and colors and whatnot.
I'm not a collector, all my knives are tools and will be carried and used. The Microtech is thinner, lighter and easier to carry and operate one handed than my Benchmade or Zero Tolerance knives. It seems to be the best suited for carry in scrubs and hospital use.
While I personally could give a crap less about the color, it's important to remember that approximately 90% of my co-workers are women, and little things like that matter. If something is cute, pretty, or fashionable, then it's not nearly as threatening. If I pull out my knife in front of a co-worker, and it matches my scrubs, it goes from "oh my God, he has a knife!" to "Ahh, that's cute, I want one too." You can laugh if you want; if it's stupid, but it works...it's not stupid.

I'm not a collector, all my knives are tools and will be carried and used. The Microtech is thinner, lighter and easier to carry and operate one handed than my Benchmade or Zero Tolerance knives. It seems to be the best suited for carry in scrubs and hospital use.
While I personally could give a crap less about the color, it's important to remember that approximately 90% of my co-workers are women, and little things like that matter. If something is cute, pretty, or fashionable, then it's not nearly as threatening. If I pull out my knife in front of a co-worker, and it matches my scrubs, it goes from "oh my God, he has a knife!" to "Ahh, that's cute, I want one too." You can laugh if you want; if it's stupid, but it works...it's not stupid.
Oh no I wouldn't call it stupid. I personally can't afford to spend gun prices for a knife but I know guys who do. And it's still very true that you get what you pay for. I kinda dig the look of the Infidel myself. Although I can see your point about easier opening.
I also understand how being a certain matching color would go a long way towards keeping skittish types calm. And hey at least it's not a seafoam green Yeti.

Interesting.. I am surprised Nursing Admin is cool with that.. I personally wouldn't use the same knife around Patient Care, and Then carry personally. Way to many nosocomial infections. Way to many bugs floating around to cross contaminate.. I just carry Trauma Scissors, and a pair of Hemo's.. There's nothing I cant dispatch with those.. From IV Tubing, and stopcocks to extension tubing sets.. Trauma scissors can shear a penny in half...

Interesting.. I am surprised Nursing Admin is cool with that.. I personally wouldn't use the same knife around Patient Care, and Then carry personally. Way to many nosocomial infections. Way to many bugs floating around to cross contaminate.. I just carry Trauma Scissors, and a pair of Hemo's.. There's nothing I cant dispatch with those.. From IV Tubing, and stopcocks to extension tubing sets.. Trauma scissors can shear a penny in half...
Ummm, I don't use the knife if patient's rooms; I use trauma scissors also. The last time I used my knife at the hospital was to cut the top off of one of those annoying Styrofoam containers from the cafeteria. I was trying to eat lunch and the damn thing kept popping up and getting in my way.
My knife, just like my trauma scissors, pen light, stethoscope, etc. is just a tool and I will continue to carry it; nursing admin be damned. If they don't like it then they can fire me, that is their choice. While I'm certainly taking a "risk", it is a calculated one; I know if I get fired I have 3 other facilities waiting to hire me, and I will be unemployed for less than a day. Nursing admin knows this also...

Ummm, I don't use the knife if patient's rooms; I use trauma scissors also. The last time I used my knife at the hospital was to cut the top off of one of those annoying Styrofoam containers from the cafeteria. I was trying to eat lunch and the damn thing kept popping up and getting in my way.
My knife, just like my trauma scissors, pen light, stethoscope, etc. is just a tool and I will continue to carry it; nursing admin be damned. If they don't like it then they can fire me, that is their choice. While I'm certainly taking a "risk", it is a calculated one; I know if I get fired I have 3 other facilities waiting to hire me, and I will be unemployed for less than a day. Nursing admin knows this also...

Oh I guess my definition for "hospital use" and yours are a little different... Oh I see You use it to cut Styrofoam containers from the Cafeteria... Your implication was slightly more especially to impress the nurses with color matching your scrubs... And yes you are taking a risk carrying it...

I’d be very careful.

Check your employee handbook.

If it says “no weapons” (most do these days,) don’t take the risk.

I know of a guy who flew for fedex. He forgot and left a pistol in his computer bag. Someone spotted it in an x-ray, and there was no “oops, I forgot.” There was fired, on the spot. Never will get his job back. I also know of people who got fired for having something in their car in an employee lot nowhere near the secure area.

The law is very clear on this stuff. Employers can enforce whatever rules they want. Carry laws do not apply. A visitor can be kicked out. And employer can (and will) fire you.

Employers almost have to have anti-weapons policies these days. If they don’t, and they place gets shot it, they are vulnerable for liability in the form of contributory negligence.

Personally, I carry no weapons anywhere near work. I’d rather take the risk of getting jacked at a red light than the certainty of losing my career. I even know of a guy who’s car burned in the lot and they found his burned gun which had fallen out of the glove compartment. Fired.

I’d be very careful.

Check your employee handbook.

If it says “no weapons” (most do these days,) don’t take the risk.

I know of a guy who flew for fedex. He forgot and left a pistol in his computer bag. Someone spotted it in an x-ray, and there was no “opps, I forgot.” There was fired, on the spot. Never will get his job back. I also know of people who got fired for having something in their car in an employee lot nowhere near the secure area.

The law is very clear on this stuff. Employers can enforce whatever rules they want. Carry laws do not apply. A visitor can be kicked out. And employer can (and will) fire you.

Employers almost have to have anti-weapons policies these days. If they don’t, and they place gets shot it, they are vulnerable for liability in the form of contributory negligence.

Personally, I carry no weapons anywhere near work. I’d rather take the risk of getting jacked at a red light than the certainty of losing my career. I even know of a guy who’s car burned in the lot and they found his burned gun which had fallen out of the glove compartment. Fired.

All very good points. I worked at RAFB in WR and I knew a few folks who carried guns in their cars. On the fed installation. I always give them a cock eyed look when they told me they did. Had a few even say "What are they gonna do, fire me?" I would tell them yes and arrest you. I think a lot of it had to do with the entitlement mentality though.

All very good points. I worked at RAFB in WR and I knew a few folks who carried guns in their cars. On the fed installation. I always give them a **** eyed look when they told me they did. Had a few even say "What are they gonna do, fire me?" I would tell them yes and arrest you. I think a lot of it had to do with the entitlement mentality though.

That would be far more worse than just firing.

I remember my grandfather would leave his gun at home when we went to the base. Only time he ever went anywhere unarmed.

That would be far more worse than just firing.

I remember my grandfather would leave his gun at home when we went to the base. Only time he ever went anywhere unarmed.

Sad state of affairs indeed. I remember carrying a trunk load of guns to Ft. Sill in 1990. Never gave a thought to a prohibition (I don't think there was any at that time, back then soldiers were trusted with dangerous pointy things and firearms). The BOQ was full of guns, several in every room. We used to go shooting or hunting on post on the weekends when off duty.

Back
Top Bottom