• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Coliseum Medical Center, Macon

Oh I guess my definition for "hospital use" and yours are a little different... Oh I see You use it to cut Styrofoam containers from the Cafeteria... Your implication was slightly more especially to impress the nurses with color matching your scrubs... And yes you are taking a risk carrying it...
Oh I guess my definition for "hospital use" and yours are a little different... Oh I see You use it to cut Styrofoam containers from the Cafeteria... Your implication was slightly more especially to impress the nurses with color matching your scrubs... And yes you are taking a risk carrying it...
Not really, my supervisor is aware that I carry, and he does not have a problem with it. He was at the table with me when I cut the Styrofoam lid off container, along with department heads from several other departments; they all just laughed and said they could tell I was ex-military. To be honest, I could care less if I'm taking a risk, probably because I know it will have to take a helluva lot more than a knife in my pocket to get me fired and also, because I know I already having 3 other hospitals that will hire me on the spot. Am I cocky and arrogant, you're damn right I am!
My implication was not to impress the nurses, it was to proselytize them to carrying a knife at all times. I want to custom order several and will gift them to my coworkers so that they will carry. I'm already looking for a Microtech UTX 85 in pink for one particular nurse (she loves pink) and want to have it laser engraved with her name and RN.
I appreciate your concern about me taking a risk, but it is one I am willing to take.

I’d be very careful.

Check your employee handbook.

If it says “no weapons” (most do these days,) don’t take the risk.

I know of a guy who flew for fedex. He forgot and left a pistol in his computer bag. Someone spotted it in an x-ray, and there was no “opps, I forgot.” There was fired, on the spot. Never will get his job back. I also know of people who got fired for having something in their car in an employee lot nowhere near the secure area.

The law is very clear on this stuff. Employers can enforce whatever rules they want. Carry laws do not apply. A visitor can be kicked out. And employer can (and will) fire you.

Employers almost have to have anti-weapons policies these days. If they don’t, and they place gets shot it, they are vulnerable for liability in the form of contributory negligence.

Personally, I carry no weapons anywhere near work. I’d rather take the risk of getting jacked at a red light than the certainty of losing my career. I even know of a guy who’s car burned in the lot and they found his burned gun which had fallen out of the glove compartment. Fired.
I classify my knife as a tool, not a weapon. My employer knows I carry it and they could possibly fire me for it but it is EXTREMELY unlikely they will. No hospital in central Georgia can afford to lose a good nurse, especially a male nurse. My employer also knows that I have other offers and will have a new job before I can clean out my locker. As long as I am professional (which I am) they chose to ignore the knife.

That would be far more worse than just firing.

I remember my grandfather would leave his gun at home when we went to the base. Only time he ever went anywhere unarmed.

Yup me too. I would get to work and go to the safe and get out a Beretta M9 and carry it (chambered round, safety off) and a spare mag of ball ammo, but if I got caught with a gun on base that I owned it was no job and arrest.

Funny thing is the base allows hunting, you can buy a gun at the BX (you have exactly a half hour to get it to base housing or off base - how they would know is beyond me) and you can have any kind of guns in base housing, but for me to come and go from home to base I couldn't have a gun. I asked the Security Forces folks several different times why this was and couldn't get a scraight answer.

Not really, my supervisor is aware that I carry, and he does not have a problem with it. He was at the table with me when I cut the Styrofoam lid off container, along with department heads from several other departments; they all just laughed and said they could tell I was ex-military. To be honest, I could care less if I'm taking a risk, probably because I know it will have to take a helluva lot more than a knife in my pocket to get me fired and also, because I know I already having 3 other hospitals that will hire me on the spot. Am I cocky and arrogant, you're damn right I am!
My implication was not to impress the nurses, it was to proselytize them to carrying a knife at all times. I want to custom order several and will gift them to my coworkers so that they will carry. I'm already looking for a Microtech UTX 85 in pink for one particular nurse (she loves pink) and want to have it laser engraved with her name and RN.
I appreciate your concern about me taking a risk, but it is one I am willing to take.

That might be acceptable in Houston Med Center.. I can assure you that does not fall into any standard of care...

Back
Top Bottom