• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collectibility of a "Sporterized" WW2 German Mauser K98?

BullseyeBoomer

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
120   0
Reaction score
Recently I inherited a German WW2 K98 in nice condition with no import marks. It appears to have all Nazi markings intact. Stamped into top of receiver ring are "243" and "1939".

Blueing is still there for the most part, no rust or pitting, bore and rifling look good. Has some plum colored patina on receiver and bolt.

Has all matching numbers, right down to the laminated stock and butt plate. Far as I can tell, only non original parts are the magazine spring, front sight hood, and sling.

I put a box of ammo thru to function test and it performed flawlessly(did not have opportunity to check accuracy beyond 25-yds).

Unfortunately the G.I. who brought it home "sporterized" the stock. I'm well aware that performing this sacrilegious act reduced collectibility and devalued the rifle considerably.

Was wondering if there's much demand for a disfigured, all matching numbers K98 as described above, and how much I might expect to get for it. Any help would be appreciated...

Semper Fi!

Mauser_Highlited.jpg

20150518_072512.jpg

Mauser_Bolt.jpg
20150518_073730#2.jpg

My brother gave me a pristine 1903-A3, metal perfect in every way possible. Only thing is, he "sporterised it by cutting the stock. I thank him for the rifle, but now if someone here has a good stock and band set, I would like to buy.

It looks refinished or oily and shiny in the first pics. Measure the barrel length and see if it is cut down. It was pretty common to cut the barrel down and move the sight back.

Back
Top Bottom