• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collectible S&W Revolvers produced from 1957 to Present

JWC

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
154   0
Reaction score
I wanted to do a thread on the collectible S&W revolvers made after 1957. However, I don’t want to be the only contributor to this thread. We have quite a few S&W collectors here on this site, and it would be great to see them discuss what they feel are collectible S&W revolvers made after 1957 and why they are considered collectible. I expect there to be different views on what is collectible and what is not. Plus pictures would be nice. lol

Since I started the thread, I will go first. My example is the S&W M520.

M520-5.jpg

The M520 is a N frame, square butt, fixed sight .357 revolver with a 4” pinned barrel, and a recessed cylinder. It is the ONLY N frame, square butt, fixed sight, and .357 that S&W made. The M520 did not have a barrel option, 4” only, and there were no finish options, only blued. There were about 3000, that is a rough number, produced in 1979/1980 for the NYSP. Some believe that the M520 is the M&P version of the M28 Highway Patrolman. But, I tend to lend toward the M520 is more like the .38/44 Heavy Duty Model of 1950 which was a fixed sight N frame .38special built on the large .44mag frame. The .38/44 Heavy Duty became the Model 20 in 1957. That is why, I believe, “20” is in the model number 520, but I have no verification of that fact.

In case you don’t know the story of the M520. The NYSP contracted with S&W to replace the M10-6 and the M13-1 which were in use. The smaller K frame .357s were experiencing flame cutting and forcing cone issues. So NYSP wanted a larger frame .357 and did a deal with S&W. But NYSP never took delivery of a single M520. This is what happened according to a factory letter from, Roy Jinks, S&W Historian:
"After production of the model 520 had begun, the New York State Police decided that a six month delivery was too long and they became interested in a standard production model. They selected the 4 inch Model 28 as an alternative based on Smith & Wesson's commitment to immediate delivery."

So now, S&W had a gun built specifically for an agency with no agency to send them. It is said that S&W was disgusted by the cancelling of the order, and the M520s were hastily put in boxes, did not match serial numbers of the grips with the gun frame and without an Instruction sheet because S&W never printed any. The M520s were not well received by the public; in fact, many of the M520s were used as throw away frames and were converted to .44 magnum and .45acp. During the Dirty Harry craze, many M520s became .44 mags.

Since there were only roughly 3000 made, and who knows how many were destroyed by conversions, be prepared to pay a premium for them. I consider the M520 to be a very collectible piece.

I wanted to do a thread on the collectible S&W revolvers made after 1957. However, I don’t want to be the only contributor to this thread. We have quite a few S&W collectors here on this site, and it would be great to see them discuss what they feel are collectible S&W revolvers made after 1957 and why they are considered collectible. I expect there to be different views on what is collectible and what is not. Plus pictures would be nice. lol

View attachment 2064266

The M520 is a N frame, square butt, fixed sight .357 revolver with a 4” pinned barrel, and a recessed cylinder. It is the ONLY N frame, square butt, fixed sight, and .357 that S&W made. The M520 did not have a barrel option, 4” only, and there were no finish options, only blued. There were about 3000, that is a rough number, produced in 1979/1980 for the NYSP. Some believe that the M520 is the M&P version of the M28 Highway Patrolman. But, I tend to lend toward the M520 is more like the .38/44 Heavy Duty Model of 1950 which was a fixed sight N frame .38special built on the large .44mag frame. The .38/44 Heavy Duty became the Model 20 in 1957. That is why, I believe, “20” is in the model number 520, but I have no verification of that fact.

In case you don’t know the story of the M520. The NYSP contracted with S&W to replace the M10-6 and the M13-1 which were in use. The smaller K frame .357s were experiencing flame cutting and forcing cone issues. So NYSP wanted a larger frame .357 and did a deal with S&W. But NYSP never took delivery of a single M520. This is what happened according to a factory letter from, Roy Jinks, S&W Historian:
"After production of the model 520 had begun, the New York State Police decided that a six month delivery was too long and they became interested in a standard production model. They selected the 4 inch Model 28 as an alternative based on Smith & Wesson's commitment to immediate delivery."

So now, S&W had a gun built specifically for an agency with no agency to send them. It is said that S&W was disgusted by the cancelling of the order, and the M520s were hastily put in boxes, did not match serial numbers of the grips with the gun frame and without an Instruction sheet because S&W never printed any. The M520s were not well received by the public; in fact, many of the M520s were used as throw away frames and were converted to .44 magnum and .45acp. During the Dirty Harry craze, many M520s became .44 mags.

Since there were only roughly 3000 made, and who knows how many were destroyed by conversions, be prepared to pay a premium for them. I consider the M520 to be a very collectible piece.
What a start!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my book nothing beats a N frame with fixed sights. Well Done Sir! :yo:

Reactions: JWC

View attachment 2064266

Interesting history! I bet S&W execs were pissed when the special order got cancelled.

Reactions: JWC
Jerry, you know that I am far from knowledgeable on this subject, but I do have an expert on speed dial :) Personally, and I know that I am in my own little world w/ this theory, but I consider any pre-lock Smith a collectible since they are making no more of them. Really just commenting to follow this thread, as I would hate to miss any information from the masters!!

:) Personally, and I know that I am in my own little world w/ this theory, but I consider any pre-lock Smith a collectible since they are making no more of them.

My friend, you are not alone in that thinking. And there are those who believe that any pinned or pinned and recessed Smith is a collectible piece. You will not find me disagreeing with either of those beliefs. But, and I hope some will point out the models, that do have the lock and are still considered collectible.

My friend, you are not alone in that thinking. And there are those who believe that any pinned or pinned and recessed Smith is a collectible piece. You will not find me disagreeing with either of those beliefs. But, and I hope some will point out the models, that do have the lock and are still considered collectible.

I am still on the look out for a 65-1 w/ box, as that would be the ultimate "collectible" for me. Introduced in '72, just like me :)

Back
Top Bottom