• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College Basketball

GeauxLSU, dang shame about the coach. It has been reported that the authorities have recordings of him talking about an "offer" to a player. Wade is a good coach. I certainly hope he is cleared of any wrong doing. Accusations like I mentioned, puts the entire LSU men's basketball program under scrutiny. Looks like it may ruin a very good season by some very talented players at LSU. Just a dang shame!

GeauxLSU, dang shame about the coach. It has been reported that the authorities have recordings of him talking about an "offer" to a player. Wade is a good coach. I certainly hope he is cleared of any wrong doing. Accusations like I mentioned, puts the entire LSU men's basketball program under scrutiny. Looks like it may ruin a very good season by some very talented players at LSU. Just a dang shame!
Yep it is a shame - they are having a great year, and most of the players haven't done anything wrong. Those phone messages from the coach, however, if he is pictured accurately - he should be in trouble. Not what we want to see in college basketball

Reactions: JWC

Yep it is a shame - they are having a great year, and most of the players haven't done anything wrong. Those phone messages from the coach, however, if he is pictured accurately - he should be in trouble. Not what we want to see in college basketball
If all the back story is accurate, it sounds like it is as rampant across universities as I feared. Honestly, I'm not stunned about Wade. It made no sense he was suddenly getting the talent he was. Perhaps the previous coach wouldn't play the game. Getting Waters last year was a complete shock. Perhaps it all makes sense now. Sounds like they have him dead to rights and if true, I'm glad. Regardless of any reality in D1 athletics, it should never be tolerated whenever found out.
But yes, I was REALLY enjoying their first good season since I can't remember when. :pout: Oh well. I'd rather them lose honestly....
Who I REALLY feel sorry for is Skylar Mays (4.0 pre med with an incredible work ethic). Like in life, the good have to pay the price for the bad. :tsk:

GeauxLSU, I don't know how wide spread the cheating is. I don't know how many sponsors are involved in giving money to athletes. I do know for sure, Coach Wade will not be the only coach to lose his job, if he does lose his job.
There have been many scandals in college basketball. Derrick Rose having someone take the SAT for him. Jim Harrick Jr., son the UGA men's basketball Jim Harrick, taught a class at UGA. Many basketball players were assigned to that class, and though none of them attended a single class, all received A's. Numerous point shaving scandals over the years. The worst one was in 1950 and almost ended college basketball. That scandal involved 7 schools and was considered "widespread". At the time, gamblers ran Madison Square Garden and the teams that played. Seriously, the game was nearly shut down.
Now, we have this scandal that appears to be far worse than anything this sport has endured. I will watch closely as this scandal plays out and hope that the game survives!

GeauxLSU, I don't know how wide spread the cheating is. I don't know how many sponsors are involved in giving money to athletes. I do know for sure, Coach Wade will not be the only coach to lose his job, if he does lose his job.
There have been many scandals in college basketball. Derrick Rose having someone take the SAT for him. Jim Harrick Jr., son the UGA men's basketball Jim Harrick, taught a class at UGA. Many basketball players were assigned to that class, and though none of them attended a single class, all received A's. Numerous point shaving scandals over the years. The worst one was in 1950 and almost ended college basketball. That scandal involved 7 schools and was considered "widespread". At the time, gamblers ran Madison Square Garden and the teams that played. Seriously, the game was nearly shut down.
Now, we have this scandal that appears to be far worse than anything this sport has endured. I will watch closely as this scandal plays out and hope that the game survives!
I'm convinced most school are involved in some way or another especially given the apparent widespread expectation of the players. I have no idea about sponsors either but if Addidas is in thick, you know others are as well.
Wade will definitely lose his job. I was surprised he said to "wait for the full story". I can't not conceive of any blanks being filled in that make that recorded conversation legit.
Oh believe me I know. Remember "Hot Rod Williams"? I went to Tulane as a freshman and that happened the following year (I had transferred). They shut down the entire basketball program. (At the time the students joked that someone was caught cheating on an English final so they were eliminating the English department.) At the time it was announced that the ban was permanent and basketball would never return to Tulane. It did (obviously) 3 years later.

I agree Duke should not have won. Duke was actually outplayed down the stretch and there were calls that did not help UCF. But there was a call against Duke where a basket by UCF was allowed even after the shot clock looked to have expired. Both teams had a problem with calls. The call that was not made was the hook and hold on the free throw by Zion were RJ got the rebound and put it in the basket giving Duke a one point lead. Because the hook and hold is a player safety issue foul, the no call can be reviewed at the request of a coach. The coach at UCF could have and should have asked that the play be reviewed. The basket would have not been allowed and UCF would have had a one point lead instead of being behind by one. However given all that, UCF still had the game in their hands. UCF missed a layup and a tip in as time expired that cost them the game.

UT blew a 25 point lead and had to go into overtime to win.......with Admiral Schofield telling the coach he wanted to sit out the rest of the game and let the guy who subbed for him play. I thought that was a strange request from a guy who was arguably the second best player on the UT team. Just a bit weird.

I did not have LSU lasting this long without their coach. I figured it would just be too much of a distraction for the players and they would lose focus. They have surprised me, and hurt my bracket! lol I don't see the interim coach designing a game plan to beat a good, but not great Michigan State team with Tom Izzo as coach.

But hey, that is my opinion, and what do I know.

Back
Top Bottom