• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

College Football vs NFL....could LSU Tigers beat the Cinncinati Bengals?

Can LSU beat the Bengals?

• No way - NFL is just another level above.

Votes: 37 74.0%
  • Maybe - depends on the teams. If they played enough games...

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Yes - the college players today are very good and NFL ready.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Don't care - but if I can get some tacos I am good.

Votes: 3 6.0%

• Total voters
Reading that reminded me of people saying the exact same sort of things about Leonard Fournette. "Wait until he runs up against those big boys in the NFL. He just thinks he's seen 'speed'. The SEC ain't the NFL. He's going to find out what big boy ball is now!".
First year over a 1,000 rushing and over 300 receiving. Some of ya'll either have an inflated view of the NFL or a deflated view of tier 1 college programs. Those NFL players aren't created in a lab. They come from good programs with training, coaching, and facilities that on par with anything the NFL has to offer. Again, not talking average to average, but best to worst.
I don't watch the NFL but now I'm really curious what these guys will do, so at some point I hope I remember to come back to this thread and check some stats.
Clyde Edward-Hellaire was the LAST pick in the first round. Anyone want to wager on his over/under yardage this coming year?
For the record, I don't think Joe Burrow is 'great' and there are probably better QB's out there. He was simply in a system, that worked perfectly for him. Don't get me wrong, I think he's got talent, a ton of grit and isn't an sphincter. For those reasons I hope he has an astonishingly successful career. I have zero idea if the Bengals will make use of him or not or if being the #1 pick for the worst team is a career death sentence.
On the flip side of that, LSU's last #1 overall pick that was a QB, was a veritable idiot on (and as it turned out, off) the field and I never could understand why he was rated so high despite being an absolute horse of an athlete. :confused: I honestly figured he should be a third rounder. Mr. JaMarcus "Purple Drank" Russel did exactly what I figured he'd do.
You are trying to turn the ultimate team sport into an individual contest. Leonard Fournette is only one guy that also had NFL players blocking for him in the NFL. One guy that is capable of competing immediately in the NfL does not mean the whole team stands a chance...

I think the thing that hurts even the best college teams compared to an NFL team is lack of size, strength, and speed. There's a massive difference, aside from a few college stars, compared to even a mediocre NFL player. Usually a bad NFL team is more due to lack of good coaching vs bad lack of talent. But I can't imagine the LSU defensive line being able to effectively handle the Bengals O-line and visa versa.

That's the main reason that even college superstars can struggle their rookie year in the NFL. It's a whole new level.
Actually there's not. That's my point. LSU's O line average over 6'4" and over 323#s. That's slightly bigger than the average NFL line.

You are trying to turn the ultimate team sport into an individual contest. Leonard Fournette is only one guy that also had NFL players blocking for him in the NFL. One guy that is capable of competing immediately in the NfL does not mean the whole team stands a chance...
That's a fair comment. But we are again talking 1 in 10 and best vs worst.

Actually there's not. That's my point. LSU's O line average over 6'4" and over 323#s. That's slightly bigger than the average NFL line.
What are they feeding them boys in Louisiana?

I think your assessment is reasonable. I can't say it's impossible, like they say in Any Given Sunday, anything can happen on the field.

True, but it didn't help UGA as much :lol:
Hey, you were the one saying size matters. :p I was 'trying' to be nice to the locals by not point that out. :becky: I did see a 2105 article saying the Falcons had the smallest line. No idea if that's still true or not.

Hey, you were the one saying size matters. :p I was 'trying' to be nice to the locals by not point that out. :becky: I did see a 2105 article saying the Falcons had the smallest line. No idea if that's still true or not.
Touche' I did. I guess I didn't realize how damn big these college guys are getting while the NFL lineman are getting smaller. My line of thinking was more based off how guys like Nick Saban who got their shot at coaching in the NFL couldn't win to save their lives, and somehow in college end up building the biggest college powerhouses we've ever seen. I think it's just two different levels. A great coach, but couldn't get it done in the big leagues. But again I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'd agree with your 1 in 10 assessment.

Touche' I did. I guess I didn't realize how damn big these college guys are getting while the NFL lineman are getting smaller. My line of thinking was more based off how guys like Nick Saban who got their shot at coaching in the NFL couldn't win to save their lives, and somehow in college end up building the biggest college powerhouses we've ever seen. I think it's just two different levels. A great coach, but couldn't get it done in the big leagues. But again I wouldn't say it's impossible. I'd agree with your 1 in 10 assessment.
TOTALLY different realities. Has nothing to do with the coach's abilities. Nick got exactly what he wanted. Almost total control and he flamed out because millionaire crybabies aren't quite the same as ego filled kids. OK, it's way more complicated than that but Nick was never, ever going to be a great NFL coach given his style. He's where he needs to be and I'm sure that still eats at him. Which I like. :lol:

TOTALLY different realities. Has nothing to do with the coach's abilities. Nick got exactly what he wanted. Almost total control and he flamed out because millionaire crybabies aren't quite the same as ego filled kids. OK, it's way more complicated than that but Nick was never, ever going to be a great NFL coach given his style. He's wear he needs to be and I'm sure that still eats at him. Which I like. :lol:
Yeah I hear ya. 100% agree on your last two sentences :lol:

Back
Top Bottom