• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Collet dies

Kman

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Trying to escape from Atlanta!!
279   0
Reaction score
I'm starting the learning process of reloading for a bolt action rifle. I've been reading that once a round is fired it will form to the chamber of my rifle and I won't need to run it through a full length die. So now I'm looking at collet neck sizing dies. Will one .30 calliber collet die be the same for .300 black out, .308 and 300WM or are they all different like full size dies? I looked around and couldn't find an answer to this question. Before I buy or reload anything I need some experience to chime in.

A call or Email to the manufacture of the brand you are looking at will answer your question on collet dies.
Most all companies now days have very helpful and friendly customer service depts.

Depending on what caliber you are reloading you will still need to full length resize every few loadings. Brass is elastic that's why it is used for shell casings. But eventually it will stick to the chamber (2-5) and you will need to full length resize.
Brass also work hardens. It's cheap and doesn't last forever.

You would only neck size if you're shooting from the same exact rifle. I would suggest you full length resize just in case you ever buy another rifle in the same caliber. Not that you would ever buy, sell, or trade a firearm

Collet dies are normally used as a crimp died. Neck sizing dies are (as stated above) used to size the neck of the cartridge only. This eliminates the need to lubricate the brass before sizing but also limits the use of that brass to the rifle is was originally fired from. Each die in both cases are caliber specific and cannot be used for multiple calibers.

I hope this answers your question.

I appreciate the information and suggestions from all of you. I will be ordering the dies and reloading accordingly.

The collet neck sizing dies that I think you are refering to are made by LEE. They are caliber specific because the die must bottom out against the shell plate to compress the neck.

Many standard neck sizing dies--that do not rely on bottoming out-- will work for multiple calibers.

A 308 neck sizer may work for a 300WM but not for a Black Out. The Black out is too short to share the same die. The 300WM may be too big in body diameter to fit in a 308 die. So, just check with the maker before you buy.

I like the Redding Die Sets that come with a Full Length and a Neck Sizing die.

Consistent neck tension and concentricty in run out of the case are more critical to accuracy. If you want to have bullets set straight in the case, seat them in 3 steps turning the brass 90 degrees between setting

I use Lee collet dies. They are unique to each caliber. The Lee dies are best if you do not turn necks. Otherwise Redding bushing dies. The Lee dies are much more tolerant of runout and don't cause seating issues.

FL size the first time the brass will be shot in any gun. Neck size after for bolt guns so long as you will only shoot ammo out of that gun. When the bolt becomes stiff when clambering a round, full length size to bump the shoulder back

Back
Top Bottom