• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt AR’s

qball5

Default rank <1000 posts
No Trespassing!
100   0
Reaction score
I was at a gun shop today and the owner told me that Colt only stopped selling to the public because they couldn’t fill orders. He claims they’ll eventually resume selling to the public. Anybody else heard this?

Reactions: GFB
Yeah, it was big news a couple months ago. Some speculated it was political but Colt insists it’s simply so they can fill contract orders. With Colt’s financial issues over the years, it’s hard to say if they ever start back or not.

Took them 25 years to start the Python back up. I guess a lot depends on how long we can keep liberals at bay. Even though ARs have been a difficult civilian market lately, for Colt to compete with the lower end ARs. Im not sure politics werent in the equation of the decision. Directly or indirectly. They might have thrown that market under the bus to get the Govt. contract. Jus saying......

giphy.gif

Colt lost the contract for Gov't ARs.

They are subcontracting their production to whoever has the contract (I forget)

Straight forward business decision, all their production capacity is contracted out, no marketing expense - just take the check to the bank.

Whether or not they will re-enter the civilian market will depend on the same marketing decisions. AR market is getting pretty crowded with other makers, may no be room for Colt.

Colt lost the contract for Gov't ARs.

They are subcontracting their production to whoever has the contract (I forget)

Straight forward business decision, all their production capacity is contracted out, no marketing expense - just take the check to the bank.

Whether or not they will re-enter the civilian market will depend on the same marketing decisions. AR market is getting pretty crowded with other makers, may no be room for Colt.

The Colt Manufacturing Company was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price foreign military sales contract to produce M4 and M4A1 carbines for 13 countries. The contract awards Colt the rights to manufacture the 5.56mm-chambered assault rifles for Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines and Tunisia.

Colt is still making M4’s for the US military, as well. Both Colt and FN America were awarded an $88.6 million contract modification EACH (they split a $177 million contract) by the U.S. Army Contracting Command to run through September 2020 for M4’s. The award is an extension of $212 million contract split between the two companies in 2015.

Back
Top Bottom