• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Competition 1911 .45 Project Gun, Complete!

markj

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
95   0
Reaction score
Picked up a new Colt Competition a few months ago. Really impressed with the gun right out of the box. With Colts re structuring they have updated their 1911 line. The "Competition" series is obviously aimed at getting some of the market back from Springfield. It comes with Novak sights front and rear, VZ grips, a beavertail grip safety and National Match barrel (from the Gold Cup line) all for around $800. Nice!

This pistol is pretty heavily modified by me.
Slide:
Flat top and serrated. Front ball cuts and bottom edges beveled. Barrel was given a 45 deg reverse crown.
Frame:
hand checkered front strap at 25lpi. Weld on magwell. Welded and re-machined frame rails for a tight fitting slide. New beavertail grip safety. The whole gun was then Cerekoted black.

Parts Used:
-EGW grip safety
-EGW bushing and plug
-EGW firing pin stop
-Wilson Combat ambi safety
-Nighthawk trigger
-Stan Chen Magwell Suite.

A lot of welding and machine work with this gun. Really enjoyed it. The pro Cerekoters in town have nothing to fear from me!! HA had a hell of a time getting the finish just right, but Im happy with the results. Looking forward to getting out there and shooting a few IDPA and GADPA matches this year with the new Colt.

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_comp9_zpscfw4wv0x.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_comp4_zps5fmcdp0o.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_comp3_zpst20gxnpa.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_comp8_zpsxpiuy6am.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_comp7_zpspzti1q0g.jpg

i1153.photobucket.com_albums_p509_flying4food_comp6_zps9yv52dgh.jpg

Thanks guys. Its a small detail, but the part Im most excited about is the barrel crown. I finally made the fixtures and tooling to be able to do this on my lathe, and keep the crown perfectly concentric with the bore. Ill also be able to cut chambers and thread barrels, so Im glad I finally got around to it.

Back
Top Bottom