• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Competition 1911 .45 Project Gun, Complete!

Thanks! Wish it wasnt such an expensive damn hobby! I only get to do one or two a year. Ive found its a little cheaper starting with a quality base gun like a Colt or Springfield, then building one from a slide/ frame unless you get a screaming deal on both.
Ive got one other firearm project this year, a RIA double stack 9mm. probably get started on it in a few weeks. In the mean time, spring is here, so its time to get out of the shop and go shoot some matches!

very nice work and skills but I have two issues with it: first you welded on a heat treated part... the frame. completely destroying the heat treatment. normally this isn't an acceptable thing to do. and as you didn't mention any re-heat treatment I assume it wasn't done. this is why when doing a frame up build we use parts that are left oversize so we can machine and lap them to a tight fit without affecting the heat treatment. the next issue is rather minor... according to colt their national match barrels are tested to usmc specs that only call for an accuracy of 2.0 inches at 20 yards. not exactly impressive but you could luck out and get a better one... kinda the luck of the draw.... I was a firm believer in the quality of colt barrels up until about 35 years ago. never have touched one since then, except to toss them is the trash can and also never looked back at my decision. Stormlake has been the only barrel I have used for all these years and have never had to toss one on the trash. every 1911 I build is tested by shooting them at 50 yards from a rest.... I put 200 rounds thru them to settle the parts in and notice a decided shrinking in the groups as I shoot... but all 200 rounds start to finish have to stay inside a 3inch circle. so to say I'm pleased with Stormlake barrels is an understatement.

I wish you luck with your shooting but my bet is that your frame will crack after a rather short life. my understanding is that the early un-heat treated colt frames cracked and only had a service life of 5,000 rounds. this is far from the 100,000 rounds modern frames can be expected to last.

F fifthhorsm , I appreciate your concern, but will have to respectfully disagree on a few points.
TIG welding a 4140 forging with er70s-6 with a small bead at the front and rear of the rails only, produces a very small heat affected zone. While welding, heat sinks are used. Immediately after welding, the frame can be held in your bare hand. This has been proven, over many years, with guns with MANY thousands of rounds through them, to not require a re heat treat. This is not me experimenting... Its not a new idea, been done for years. I also have a bullseye pistol with the same process that is approaching the 10,000 round mark now, holding up just fine. The stresses imparted on the frame rails simply do not require it. If it were Aluminum, yes, of course re heat treat is absolutely required. All that said, Ill post here if it cracks!

While starting with oversize parts is always ideal, its not an option when using an existing gun.

I felt no need to replace the barrel in this Colt. The lower lugs were well fit from the factory, and this is not a bullseye gun. It wont be shot past 25 yards, and in testing from a sand bag, it was putting up 1-1.5" groups at that distance, more than adequate. No need to "toss it in the trash" without testing.

Thanks for your input though. it is always appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom