• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Colt Peacekeeper Restoration (Finished)

Rabbit2047

Default rank 5000+ posts
Purveyor of Antique Firearms
98   0
Reaction score
So I traded into a 1985 Colt Peacekeeper in pretty rough shape. First pic is what it looked like when I brought it home. The previous owner had begun stripping it after finding some minor pitting on the barrel and frame while removing some surface rust.
colt1.jpg

I spent the two previous days attacking it with an assortment of wire & nylon brushes, various grades of sandpaper, steel wool, microfiber towels, CLP, and Mother's Mag Polish. The second picture shows the results from a total of 9hrs of elbow grease.
0702190826_HDR-2.jpg

This revolver is somewhat of an oddity for Colts. Colts generally have very deep lustrous blueing. For the entire run of the Peacekeeper (1984-1987) the only factory finish Colt Offered was Matte blue/black. This was accomplished by bead blasting the bare steel to a satin finish before the blueing process.

The third picture is halfway through the media blasting process. To save costs during the experimentation phase of this restoration I used Baking Soda as my abrasive. I will use glass for the final product.
0703191710_HDR-1.jpg

This morning I blued it for the first time and I must admit I am extremely pleased with the results. I have to tweak my blueing recipe just a little to get the color 100% correct. But as you can tell from the 4th pic..... I am 4374: close and ain't got that far to go.
0704190923_HDR-1.jpg

The 5th and final pic (red background) is one I snatched off of Google. This is what my Peacekeeper should and will look like when finished.
d938aeede8b90272c903f3256d478f59.jpg

Stripped the blueing and found part of my problem was an uneven bead blast. I only used a very fine abrasive on the first go around. I went with a 50/50 sand/soda mixture this time around. Much more even. A little rough but I will smooth that out on the next pass with my pure baking soda.
0704191258_HDR-1.jpg

For those interested....here is my spray rig. Cost me $5 to make and works great.
0704191259_HDR-1.jpg

I do have a commercial rig I will use for the final product, but for now I went back to the basics as a way to re-acquaint myself with a skill set I have not used in many many years.

I still do much of my smithing by hand, as I fear that if I rely too heavily on a tool, my appreciation for the art will diminish alongside my ability to perform a service in the absence of that tool.

Ran out of one of my chemicals I use to change the tint of my blueing solution so I didn't get anymore work done on the Peacekeeper.

However I did decide to go ahead and do one of my EDCs. It's an early 70s Charter Bulldog 44spl with a 3 inch barrel.

I had let a friend borrow it and she totally ****ed to the blueing on the cylinder so I had already stripped that when this pic was taken.

Before:
0623192349a_HDR-1.jpg

And this is what it looks like after refinishing
0705192215a_HDR-1.jpg

Little update on the Peacekeeper.

I have given up trying to match the blueing. Soooo....

Matte Stainless and wood grips it is.....

I was hoping to have it finished today and listed by this evening, but I managed to **** that up by getting distracted.

I run my media blaster at 80psi. Had a video conference so I unhooked the blaster and snapped on an air nozzle then cranked it up to 140psi to dust myself off.

When I resumed blasting an hour later my dumbass forgot to turn it back down and as a result totally knackered the internals of the blaster. Oh well. Guess I will buy another one Wednesday....

Anyways....here she sits in her half finished glory.
0722191813a_HDR-1.jpg

Little update on the Peacekeeper.

I have given up trying to match the blueing. Soooo....

Matte Stainless and wood grips it is.....

I was hoping to have it finished today and listed by this evening, but I managed to **** that up by getting distracted.

I run my media blaster at 80psi. Had a video conference so I unhooked the blaster and snapped on an air nozzle then cranked it up to 140psi to dust myself off.

When I resumed blasting an hour later my dumbass forgot to turn it back down and as a result totally knackered the internals of the blaster. Oh well. Guess I will buy another one Wednesday....

Anyways....here she sits in her half finished glory.
View attachment 2207388

Nice! Tell us about those GRIPS... :)

Back
Top Bottom