• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Combat knife

That's more or less what I was looking for a sheath and a good knife that fits molle.

Plenty of good knives come with a good sheath. Like the Kabar. You can purchase one with a traditional leather belt sheath, or a hard plastic sheath that can be tied to molle. There are also plenty of aftermarket sheaths as well, like the Spec Ops. Lots of choices when it comes to knives and sheaths.

Watched a lot of durability test on the glock 81 and at 30 bucks, I went for it.
20190610_162949.jpg

I also bought 2 glock model 81 (also called FM-81) field knives.
Numerous YouTube video reviews and torture tests showed them to be tough.
The blades are said to be spring steel, hard but flexible. Not rustproof, though. I wipe my blades down with a squirt of WD40 after handling them.
I got two of them, for use as throwing knives. I've thrown them a few thousand times, and at least a few hundred times they hit the target wrong and bounced off, sometimes landing at high speed among rocks, other tree trunks, in the dirt, or the concrete driveway. Also a gravel driveway.
The knives have hit each other too, when knife #1 sticks in the target and then knife #2 comes next and strikes it. The blades are nicked and scratched, and so are the polymer handles, but nothing is cracked or broken.

They're only $30 for the black models. If you want green or desert tan, then figure $35 each.
Free shipping, too, with Amazon Prime.

No bayonet, Just want a decent fixed blade attached.
Why not a bayonet? The modern U.S. military bayonets, from the Korean war period onward, have had basically the same blade length as most fixed-blade combat knives. 6.5 inches, approximately. The M9 bayonet's blade is 7.0 inches, but M7 and M6 are 6.75 inches, the M5 was only 6.5 inches.

Back 100 years ago, a "bayonet" was more like a short sword, with 16" being a very common length.
In modern times, things are different, and the bayonet is made to serve double-duty as a combat knife when detached from a rifle.

P.S. The famous WW1 model 1918 trench knife (which also had brass knuckles integrated into it) had a 6.75" blade. That's the same as its replacement, the Mk 3 Fighting Knife, and several later bayonet designs.

The equally legendary Fairbairn fighting knife used by the British frim WWII onward has had blade lengths of 6, 6.5, and finally 7 inches. The length was increased as the years went by and feedback was received from the users in the field.

The USMC K-Bar knife had a 7.0" blade.

It seems a modern bayonet and a fighting knife share similar dimensions.

Back
Top Bottom