• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Communication when trying to buy/sale

If anybody cares...the member sold the item.

The guy that bought the item actually contacted me to let me know. That was nice to see.

Thanks again for all the comments

Now the Eeyore in me wonders, was it a courtesy call, or a "nyah, nyah, I got it and you didn't". I've known a-holes who would do just that.

Just trying to be helpful here for the new guys.

PMs are where you place your bid on the item offered for sail. The sailor will accept all the PMs he can until he's had the highest offer or gained enough information about the item he is sailing to ascertain the market value. Then he'll make a decision as to how/who to sail to. Anyone that had a bid that wasn't high enough gets a PM like this, "Hi, there was another member who asked for the item before you PM'd me (or posted an "I'll take it in the thread") so I have to offer it to them first." This is the most common response you'll receive if your bid wasn't high enough. That's how ODT auctions work.

Just trying to be helpful here for the new guys.

PMs are where you place your bid on the item offered for sail. The sailor will accept all the PMs he can until he's had the highest offer or gained enough information about the item he is sailing to ascertain the market value. Then he'll make a decision as to how/who to sail to. Anyone that had a bid that wasn't high enough gets a PM like this, "Hi, there was another member who asked for the item before you PM'd me (or posted an "I'll take it in the thread") so I have to offer it to them first." This is the most common response you'll receive if your bid wasn't high enough. That's how ODT auctions work.

Thanks for explaining that.

I've wondered why my "I'll take it" 30 seconds after the ad is posted gets that response. Now I won't feel so butt hurt. You'd think the least the sailor could do is give you a chance to up the bid.

Thanks for explaining that.

I've wondered why my "I'll take it" 30 seconds after the ad is posted gets that response. Now I won't feel so butt hurt. You'd think the least the sailor could do is give you a chance to up the bid.
I'm pretty sure when you get the "I had another member offer..." PM that is when you are supposed to reply, "Well, if he backs out, I'll pay you XX more that you're asking for it."

At least that's how I think the bidding is supposed to work. There's no rules or guidelines since real auctions aren't allowed on ODT. Only ODT auctions.

Back
Top Bottom