• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Comparing US & Canadian gun laws/culture

Deleted member 79987

Default rank 5000+ posts
Good enough for government work
79   0
Reaction score
Interesting video, learned some things I didn't know.

Any of you all have experience shooting in another country (not as a soldier)? What did you find different?

BAD48872-0C2E-4109-872D-13043DA67A71.jpeg
75BC6000-BD72-4FB7-BA17-CE0899741786.jpeg

When I shot competitively with my home club in Western New York, we would get permission to go across the border to Canada and compete against their teams. Likewise the Canadians would get permission to bring their guns into New York State to visit us.

In both of these situations the visitors to the foreign country could not carry their firearms just any old way they wanted , such as loaded & handy for self-defense, but instead when in a foreign country with this type of special permission you had to carry (transport) the pistol(s) unloaded in a locked container. The ammunition had to be separated from it and in some type of clothed hard-sided container of its own.

I thought it was a lot of fun driving across the Peace Bridge into Ford Erie, Ontario, Canada, rolling down my window, and having the Canadian customs officer ask me the standard routine questions:

"Do you have anything to to declare, such as blah blah blah, blah blah, firearms, blah blah?"

I would answer "Firearms!? Oh sure, yeah, I've got a handgun. No, make that three of them actually."

The craziest thing about Canada is that they have completely eliminated the right to use a firearm in self-defense. No deadly force with guns for those home invaders, kidnappers, and rapists. Fighting back with your bare hands and feet is still legal, but not with any firearm.

You are not allowed to list "home protection" or "defense" as a reason for wanting a firearm in any of your applications to acquire one or bring one into the country. All guns must be securely stored when they're not being transported to and from the hunting fields or the shooting range. If you shoot a burglar with a gun that the authorities believe that you kept handy rather than kept unloaded and locked in the safe or locked gun cabinet, you're in trouble. The authorities will strip you of your right to self-defense because they will say that you were also a criminal ---you were a "gun law violating criminal" at the time you shot the robber, so the case simply involves one criminal hurting another criminal and neither one of you can claim self-defense!

And anti-gun activists in Canada are pleased about this, even though they know that Canada's gun owners have been thoroughly vetted and background checked. As the video said, they get background checked every single day ---yes every gun owner in Canada has their name run through a national crime database every day to make sure they're still eligible to keep their gun possession permit. The criminal-coddling bleeding heart liberals in Canada don't believe that even these thoroughly vetted, proven law/abiding, good citizens can be trusted to have a firearm for self-defense. Not even A rifle that is limited to five rounds. Not even a Joe Biden special double-barreled shotgun.

Canada does have strict gun laws and no 2nd amendment. Despite that you can generally bring sporting firearms for hunting and sanctioned shooting events. Customs will issue the paperwork at the border. On the other hand foreigners trying to bring a firearm in the US need to apply with ATF weeks/months in advance. Then show your approved permits at US customs. Also firearms are regulated at the federal level only in Canada. One set of rules for the entire country. In the US, each state has it's own criminal code which can be inconsistent state to state.

Back
Top Bottom