• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Comparison: Lower Receivers

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
From time-to-time, the quality of lower receivers used comes into question. Some of the links below have been posted before, but (as always) prejudices prevail, where actual knowledge is absent. I was recently personally chided for using a "Junk" Anderson Lower ... Read on and decide for yourself.

BTW: During WWII, our favorite M1 Garand and Carbines were manufactured by a number of "Non-Firearm" organizations: Umbrella Corporation, IBM, Underwood Typewriter, etc. They were all made to Military Specifications (MILSPEC) and worked flawlessly as full firearms and spare parts sets. Strangely, today's MILSPEC manufactured products still work in the same fashion. This includes: automotive parts, aircraft parts / engine parts, ammunition, and ... (surprise) firearms! For those who insist that the replacement alternator for their Chevy truck is sold and bought at a Chevy Dealership, then enjoy spending your money for what most of us would buy (likely the same exact alternator, just in a different box) at a local parts store at far less a price.

AS you read the following, examine your lower receivers: Many will have a KEY-HOLE trade-mark embossed upon them, indicating one of the four manufacturers of the majority of blanks used by the majority of the name brand suppliers of Lower Receivers ... Who "Customize" the blanks into their inflated-price logos and colorful dressings ... Some finish their blanks a little better than other, and charge for "pretty". Thank God, we do have choices: What's Yours?
For me: "Better is the Enemy of Good-Enough" when talking about MILSPEC!

http://thearguys.com/ar-facts/lowereceiver/

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/best-ar-15-lower-receiver-for-any-budget/

PLEASE add your comments, but also provide links backing them up, and not just personal opinions!

So, you got offended that someone didn't personally like your lower so you post an opinion piece as fact to back up your own purchase?

It's your lower, your rifle. Why get your panties in a bunch because someone else's opinion doesn't line up with your opinion? If you like it, roll with it.

Technically speaking M1 Garand was only manufactured by Winchester and Springfield Armory (the original in MA).

Carbines were manufactured by a large # of companies as cited.

That said I will read the links OP

I wish there was more up to date information. There are a lot of new players on the market, and some of the old ones are gone. Mainly referencing the link to ar15.com from the ARGuys site.

In many cases what you are paying for in some of the lower/uppers/barrels, etc is the name that is stamped on the sides and the companies reputation. I have a variety of lowers from Anderson, Aero, LMT, PWS, etc. Can I tell a difference? not really. It's more about what's in them that makes a difference. Most of my stripped lowers have Daniel Defense internals and a few have upgraded triggers. That makes a much bigger difference than the roll marks on the sides. But is a 2A Armament lower "better" than an Anderson? That's in the eye of the beholder.

IMHO Mil-spec = it goes bang when you pull the trigger. Some people want more than that (sub-MOA performance) and are willing to pay more for a brand, performance or reliability.

I've seen some really nice fit and finish andersons. Daniel defense look really good to me. I've had experience with 2 spikes lowers - 1 fit any upper you threw on in. The other was so tight you needed a hammer to push the pins in or out.
I have yet to break a lower - so personal experience tells me they are all the same? Is that how personal experience works?

I one time held a noveske and ran the charging handle a few times - my pants got tighter. That didn't happen with the other guns.

I asked this question before. If there is a real tangible difference between your low end (Anderson/PSA), mid range (Ruger/Smith/Aero) and upper end (Colt/BCM/Noveske/KAC) and the general consensus is no. For a regular run of the mill lower you're paying for a lot for the name which in turn translates to potentially better resale value. That said I absolutely would pay $100+ for a lower that I was going to Form1.

Please understand that there is nothing "Personal" about this posting .... I have hopes that we can keep it that way. The discussion about Lowers has been going on for years. Interestingly, during that time there has been little to no commentary (that I know of) on what goes into the lowers (LPK) ... except for FCG's. While some of the above feedback is enlightening, I have hopes of seeing more factual information (in the form of links to information). As more members get a chance to see this, I am certain that this will happen. I want to make good buying decisions, as I'm certain most others would as well.

Please understand that there is nothing "Personal" about this posting .... I have hopes that we can keep it that way. The discussion about Lowers has been going on for years. Interestingly, during that time there has been little to no commentary (that I know of) on what goes into the lowers (LPK) ... except for FCG's. While some of the above feedback is enlightening, I have hopes of seeing more factual information (in the form of links to information). As more members get a chance to see this, I am certain that this will happen. I want to make good buying decisions, as I'm certain most others would as well.
I don't think you want me linking to evidence of my Noveske experience. However I completely appreciate your desire for factual comparisons. I think a lot of the SBR crowd puts more emotion into the purchase due to the extra $200 and paperwork- go ahead and spend extra even for just a name. But for a everyday rifle/truck gun/and certainly range toy I think the $40 lowers from reputable suppliers perform on par with the $250 shiny ones.

I don't think you want me linking to evidence of my Noveske experience. However I completely appreciate your desire for factual comparisons. I think a lot of the SBR crowd puts more emotion into the purchase due to the extra $200 and paperwork- go ahead and spend extra even for just a name. But for a everyday rifle/truck gun/and certainly range toy I think the $40 lowers from reputable suppliers perform on par with the $250 shiny ones.

Thanks! I have built a few AR-15's, but never with the intention of doing so with the intention of selling them. I admit that I have traded a couple for other firearms that I just couldn't resist. With each build I attempted to build a quality product with the best LPK parts available for the money ... the key is "for the money" .. I'm not flush with cash nor am I a National Match Shooter, but I do strive to achieve a MOA end product ... and do so.

Hey, if the Noveske lower really does "make your pants stretch" then maybe you should PM the link that caused it to me ... as old as I am, it is usually some leggy 18 YO eye-candy that evokes that kind of response in me!

Back
Top Bottom