• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Complete newbie wanting an AR and needing advice

First AR ever?
You don't need an aftermarket trigger until you know that the stock FCG isn't going to work for you.
A rail is nice but you can attach a flashlight and sling mount to a Magpul handguard.

My youngest brother finally decided to get one just because of all the new ban talk so he's getting a stripped lower and a lower build kit and I'm going to loan him a couple of uppers so he can decide what will be better for him. I know not everyone has an awesome brother like me but I didn't want to recommend something to him and then 2 months from now have to listen to him complain about it.

If possible you should go to a range that rents ARs and try out as many different set ups as possible.

I too have cleared 100s of structures looking for armed men. Not once have I ever felt at a disadvantage because I was doing it with a carbine. Nobody that clears a house/commercial structure anywhere in the world looking for a real bad guy does it with a pistol.....unless he is forced by some archaic policy. There is a reason for that. Finally the internet myth that a pistol is the ideal tool for defense in any armed engagement is just that..... a myth. A pistol is like a pocket knife.....convenient. But when it comes time to cut off heads you need a machete. And if you can only have one to lay beside your rack, don’t choose a pocket knife.
As I have heard many times, a handgun is what you use to get yourself to your long gun! (And I like handguns!)

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom