• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Composite or Wood Fencing Material?

WinstonSmith

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Garthok Narfler
85   0
Reaction score
My wife and I are going to fence in our backyard. It's going to be a wood privacy fence. I hate the idea of having to stain the thing every year and was wondering if anyone has experience with composite fence and could give me some insight on any cons or first hand experience that might help me decide. I have scoured the internet but figured I should ask here as well as I did not get a good conclusive answer. I know composite is more expensive but is it really as maintenance free as advertised?

I went Cedar for my 6' fence around the backyard, was about 25% more than pine. It is at my ex house, where the ex lives.

It is over 12 years old and still looks newish. My neighbors pine fence is warped and sad looking.

Used pine 4x4's for the posts. Cedar doesn't hold up well in the soil.

Composite was almost 3 times the cost of the pine back then.

Yes, if you don't mind the added expense, it's the way to go. I've built several decks for clients using "Eon" composite decking and rail systems. It just amazes me when I'm called back years later for other work
and the decks look like the day it was finished. The wife of one client told me her maintenance regime consisted of a garden hose twice a year.
http://www.austinwholesaledecking.com/eon_fencing/

Wood will eventually rot. Short term vs long term investment?

Not gonna live here forever. My main concern is upkeep on outside wood. I really am not excited about having to stain it every year. One more pain in the butt on my honey do list. I think the prices on composite have come down. Still more expensive but might be worth it. I have a couple guys coming out to do a quote so I'll see if the juice is worth the squeeze when they give me the numbers. Just wanted to make sure the composite stuff was as low maintenance as claimed. Saw stuff online about it fading dramatically, flaking, warping etc. I hate making costly mistakes because I didnt do proper due diligence.

You could use cypress wood for the fence. It is bug repellant, does not need painting and weathers to a nice aged color. Cypress is used a lot in south GA. and should be readily available.

Back
Top Bottom