• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conceal an SBR on your person?

A registered SBR may not be a "weapon" in Georgia (OCGA 26-11-125.1)
and therefore your GWL would be unnecessary and irrelevant.

But that doesn't mean it's illegal to carry a short-barreled rifle!

This brings up the next question of what type of dangerous instruments or tools are covered by the laws that a GWL normally exempt you from?
The answer is, under most circumstances, handguns with barrels below 12 inches and knives with blades bigger than 12 inches.
If You're carrying some type of firearm that doesn't meet the definition of a weapon, then you probably haven't broken one of the laws for which a GWL (carry permit) exempt you from said law.

There are some exceptions. Such as on school property if you have your SBR in the trunk of your car and you park on school property, you had better have a GWL or you'll be breaking felony level law about weapons of schools because for the school law all fire arms are weapons and are restricted by the school law. (16-11-127.1)

The preemption law, 16-11- 173, is very broadly written and therefore no city county or other governmental agency (besides the legislature itself) is allowed to have any restrictions on short barreled firearms or the carrying of them.

So, more or less with a few exceptions, it's not covered by the permit or restricted by the law?

I did a quick search and didn't see it pop up. With a carry permit, is it lawful to conceal carry a SBR on your person?
You sure can garner a lot of non-responsive responses. the answer to your question is yes.

To elaborate, though, an SBR could be a long gun under GA law. For example, if you have a rifle with a barrel of 18" but an overall length of 25", it is an SBR under federal law and a "long gun" under GA law (OCGA 16-11-125.1). It is awkwardly worded, but OCGA 16-11-126(b) tells us that a loaded long gun carried without a license must be carried openly. The problem is the statute does not appear to define a crime if you conceal a loaded long gun without a license. On the chance that a DA or solicitor somewhere thinks that it does, though, you really would need a license to carry an SBR in such a configuration concealed.

(16-11-125.1)
(1) "Handgun" means a firearm of any description, loaded or unloaded, from which any shot, bullet, or other missile can be discharged by an action of an explosive where the length of the barrel, not including any revolving, detachable, or magazine breech, does not exceed 12 inches; provided, however, that the term "handgun" shall not include a gun which discharges a single shot of .46 centimeters or less in diameter.

Sooo any SBR with a barrel less than 12" is a Handgun? :confused::confused:
What about SBRs with barrels between 12" and 16", is it legal to carry one concealed?

I would NOT carry any of my SBR's concealed. Reason is, there are PLENTY of non-SBR type "pistols" in AR format our otherwise. Braced or non braced, your choice. I usually have too much money wrapped into an SBR to take that chance. I have a very nice AR 9mm pistol with a 4.5" barrel. That said, it would be a bitch to keep it concealed.

Much easier to conceal a Glock (even the full sized versions) and a couple of his cap mags will get me thru the odd and immediate situation.

Keep the rifle in the vehicle.

I would NOT carry any of my SBR's concealed. Reason is, there are PLENTY of non-SBR type "pistols" in AR format our otherwise. Braced or non braced, your choice. I usually have too much money wrapped into an SBR to take that chance. I have a very nice AR 9mm pistol with a 4.5" barrel. That said, it would be a ***** to keep it concealed.

Much easier to conceal a Glock (even the full sized versions) and a couple of his cap mags will get me thru the odd and immediate situation.

Keep the rifle in the vehicle.

Thanks for the unsolicited opinion. I didn't ask if I should, I asked if it were legal.

Back
Top Bottom