• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Conceal carry/Self defense legal insurance????

I would be deeply cautious about any CCW insurance schemes. There are lots and lots of issues with anything that bills itself as self-defense 'insurance'.

The best overview I've heard about these is from SD attorney Andrew Branca. He is a board member of ACLDN, but he gives a good, unbiased review on the reasons why CCW 'insurance' is a problem in one of his podcasts. Go to http://lawofselfdefense.com/podcasts/ and then go to podcast #3.

That same podcast also has an interesting discussion of different 'SYG' laws and what's actually important about them (you'll be surprised).

BTW, if you have a permit, you should be listening to this guy's podcasts, and probably buying his book as well... Could keep you out of jail if you ever have an incident.

I would be deeply cautious about any CCW insurance schemes. There are lots and lots of issues with anything that bills itself as self-defense 'insurance'.

The best overview I've heard about these is from SD attorney Andrew Branca. He is a board member of ACLDN, but he gives a good, unbiased review on the reasons why CCW 'insurance' is a problem in one of his podcasts. Go to http://lawofselfdefense.com/podcasts/ and then go to podcast #3.

That same podcast also has an interesting discussion of different 'SYG' laws and what's actually important about them (you'll be surprised).

BTW, if you have a permit, you should be listening to this guy's podcasts, and probably buying his book as well... Could keep you out of jail if you ever have an incident.

Thanks for the link...that's also the first I've heard of anyone not promoting this type of insurance...

Just listen to Pod#3 great information thanks for this

I would recommend against it. Keep a good defense lawyer's number in your wallet or phone and save the money.

If you are in a situation where you must defend yourself from criminal prosecution you will want a local attorney who is paid well. If your attorney is underpaid they have every incentive to plea the case and get out, even if it is a raw deal ($125 a year is grossly underpaid in the scheme of a $100,000 self defense case). It is unfortunately the way the world works. You don't get paid you don't want to work hard.

A quality, local attorney will do good work because he has a reputation to uphold. The last thing you want when your freedom is on the line is a lawyer who isn't in the game.

Local attorneys know the judges and the district attorneys. Additionally, those "insurance companies" have a lot of caveats in their contracts, such as they won't file a motion to suppress or take the case to trial.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, if you wish, because I am a criminal defense attorney.

Last edited:
I would recommend against it. Keep a good defense lawyer's number in your wallet or phone and save the money.

If you are in a situation where you must defend yourself from criminal prosecution you will want a local attorney who is paid well. If your attorney is underpaid they have every incentive to plea the case and get out, even if it is a raw deal ($125 a year is grossly underpaid in the scheme of a $100,000 self defense case). It is unfortunately the way the world works. You don't get paid you don't want to work hard.

A quality, local attorney will do good work because he has a reputation to uphold. The last thing you want when your freedom is on the line is a lawyer who isn't in the game.

Local attorneys know the judges and the district attorneys. Additionally, those "insurance companies" have a lot of caveats in their contracts, such as they won't file a motion to suppress or take the case to trial.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, if you wish, because I am a criminal defense attorney.

I agree heartily with this. I have never reviewed these types of policies, but I would be willing to bet that they contain quite a few exclusions and probably give the company the right to chose and hire counsel - if you want counsel of your own choosing, then it is on your dime.

And it is almost always best to hire local counsel to represent you. Whenever I have litigated outside of my home area, I have always retained local counsel to help out.

I have been approached by legal services companies in the past. The rates they pay are comical. You probably don't want the guy or gal working for that kind of money representing you, unless he is a true believer in the cause.

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I'd still recommend taking a good hard look at ACLDN. They don't sell insurance so much as funding and support.

ACLDN basically gives you money to get a lawyer on retainer and help with some of the technical aspects like hiring someone to do an initial investigation. If you don't know a good self defense lawyer in the area, they have people they can recommend in all states.

That last is very important, since self-defense law is tricky, and is something very few lawyers have any experience with at all. Some lawyers would charge you a fortune just to get up to speed in it, or even worse, just assume they 'know enough'.

ACLDN also stresses getting representation and support right away. As Branca says in his podcasts, you want the legal system to spit you out as soon as possible.

If you get detained (and you probably will) after an SD shooting, having a lawyer right there, with his own investigators report of the scene may make the DA realize this case won't be a pushover, and may very well make them decide to go after other, easier targets. Not guaranteed, but a show of legal force will make them think twice about trying to push a weak case to trial.

If you do have to go to trial, ACLDN also has some of the best expert testimony on-staff there is. Massad Ayoob is just one of the people that is associated with them. From the legal end they will work with your local attorney and help with case law, tactics and strategy.

To me ACLDN seems to be the most likely to be helpful if the situation ever comes up. Plus they provide good training material and the cost is very reasonable.

Back
Top Bottom