• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed Carry laws in Georgia...

That is corrrect, Once an office has any other reason to stop you, IE: your public drunk, seen ruuning from a crime. someone calls the cops cause you and your wife are in a loud disagreement in the street, etc, Then that office can and may demand you GWCL. The just of the law is you can't be stopped or detained for the sole purpose of investigating if you have a valid GWCL, once you have been stopped for any other reason you must produce your GWCL if ask or face arrest.

As a side note a GWCL is not required to carry in an automobile on your person or anywhere inside said automobile. However once you exit the automobile a GWCL is required. I bring this up BC some officers like to have citzens get out of their vehicles during traffic stops and wait at the rear of the vehicle. If you are armed on your person in your vehicle and do not have a GWCL and are ask by an office to step out of the vehicle this would be a good time to inform said office you are carring on you person and seek the officers direction on how you should proceed.

I am going to research this however, thought I would ask you guys too :) ...

I was told by my firearms instructor that police were not allowed (by law) to ask you if you possessed a concealed weapons permit. He said he heard that, but was still unsure.

Does anyone in here have an idea? THANK YOU! ;)
According to my Lawyer, a LEO cannot ask if you have a permit for no reason. By that I mean he cannot walk up to you and ask, however if a firearm is seen by the officer he can ask. I have several LEO as friends and 100% of them say that when a person starts refusing to show a permit, or becomes argumentive it sets off alarms that you are trying to hide something. It seems logical to me if he ask, and you have done nothing wrong just comply and be on your way. No need to create a problem when none exist!

According to my Lawyer, a LEO cannot ask if you have a permit for no reason. By that I mean he cannot walk up to you and ask, however if a firearm is seen by the officer he can ask. I have several LEO as friends and 100% of them say that when a person starts refusing to show a permit, or becomes argumentive it sets off alarms that you are trying to hide something. It seems logical to me if he ask, and you have done nothing wrong just comply and be on your way. No need to create a problem when none exist!

The section you seek is 16-11-137 (b). Basically, they can not stop and detain you solely to check if you are lawfully carrying a pistol. They have to have probable cause that you've committed a separate crime other than carrying a pistol before they can stop you.

That doesn't stop Officer Friendly from asking, ie Consensual Encounter. He can't detain or delay you in any. Under a consensual encounter, you are free to leave, you can refuse to answer their questions, you can decline to identify yourself, or whatever.

I have had one of the Command Staff at Cobb PD ask me if I had a license. I refused to answer and changed the topic. We continued to talk and then he moved along.

BTW .... you can thank GeorgiaCarry.Org for this. They pushed this clause.

Here is the language:

§ 16-11-137. Required possession of weapons carry license or proof of exemption when carrying a weapon; detention for investigation of carrying permit
  • (a) Every license holder shall have his or her valid weapons carry license in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, or if such person is exempt from having a weapons carry license pursuant to Code Section 16-11-130 or subsection (c) of Code Section 16-11-127.1, he or she shall have proof of his or her exemption in his or her immediate possession at all times when carrying a weapon, and his or her failure to do so shall be prima-facie evidence of a violation of the applicable provision of Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2.
  • (b) A person carrying a weapon shall not be subject to detention for the sole purpose of investigating whether such person has a weapons carry license.
  • (c) A person convicted of a violation of this Code section shall be fined not more than $10.00 if he or she produces in court his or her weapons carry license, provided that it was valid at the time of his or her arrest, or produces proof of his or her exemption.

Your lawyer would be incorrect read the statute for yourself Additionally you said don't create a problem when none exists if a law enforcement officer demands your license based on the presence of a firearm he has violated the statute and has broken the law. Surely you're not advocating for citizen to go along with an illegal activity

Someone help me out here. What's the legal difference between 'demands', (illegal), and 'asks', (apparently legal).

Is it if they try to detain you if you don't comply ?

If the LEO's officer start sounding like he's investigating you, simply ask .... "Am I free to go". If he doesn't say no, then shut your mouth, turn around and walk away. If he says NO, shut your mouth, do not consent to any searches, and demand an attorney.

.... "asks" you can walk away ..... "demands' you can't.

Someone help me out here. What's the legal difference between 'demands', (illegal), and 'asks', (apparently legal).

Is it if they try to detain you if you don't comply ?

An officer can "ask" you anything.
How's your sex life? How you feeling? Is blue your favorite color?

He"demands' something when he uses his badge (his office) to require you to commit an act against your will.

Back
Top Bottom