• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed carry on your property

Porter Rockwell

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
93   0
Reaction score
Does one need a carry permit to carry on your own property? How about on the back 40 of property you own? Or cutting grass in the front yard of the house the bank owns and you make payments on?

You may want to consult a legal rep on this.....
The laws are tricky on conceal carry. My understanding is that you can conceal carry without a permit on your property like your home, car, boat etc. but your open property like your yard, woods, etc are not definded as the same as your home and you are required to have a concealed carry permit to carry concealed. Open carry is legal.

You may want to consult a legal rep on this.....
The laws are tricky on conceal carry. My understanding is that you can conceal carry without a permit on your property like your home, car, boat etc. but your open property like your yard, woods, etc are not definded as the same as your home and you are required to have a concealed carry permit to carry concealed. Open carry is legal.

If you own the property, woods or otherwise it is still your property and you may carry open or concealed as long as you're within your property.

§ 16-11-126. (A)
Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on
his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

You can open carry in Georgia without a permit correct? Or is that just for hunting and fishing?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

You may openly carry a handgun without a GWL while legally hunting or fishing. Long guns may be carried openly wherever it is legal to do so.

Getting a GWL was a very easy process imo I see no reason to not get one

..My understanding is that you can conceal carry without a permit on your property like your home, car, boat etc. but your open property like your yard, woods, etc are not definded as the same as your home and you are required to have a concealed carry permit to carry concealed. Open carry is legal.

That was never the law.
There WAS a time, up until 2008 I think, when the "home" exception to a permit requirement said "in your home."
It did not say "in or around your home" or the curtilage.
The exception did not say "on any residential real estate."

It was IN your home, not your yard. At least Per the statutory law written in the code books. The appellate courts may have been more forgiving and created some leeway around your home, the way they have done for the 4th amendment regarding protection against unlawful search and seizures at your home.

Now we have a new line in this code section that adds "your property" to give further gun rights than simply "your home."

When this exception applies, it applies regardless of whether the weapon is exposed or concealed; whether it is quickly accessible or unloaded and safely secured for transport .

You may openly carry a handgun without a GWL while legally hunting or fishing. Long guns may be carried openly wherever it is legal to do so.

Getting a GWL was a very easy process imo I see no reason to not get one
But you have to have a GWL to open carry while you are not hunting or fishing? Is that correct?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom