• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Concealed carry on your property

But you have to have a GWL to open carry while you are not hunting or fishing? Is that correct?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Yes, except for the exceptions discussed above.

Also there are exceptions to the exceptions, for example, no carry of any sort on Army Corps Lakes or surrounding property, no open carry on WMA during certain hunts, no open carry on college campuses.

That was never the law.
There WAS a time, up until 2008 I think, when the "home" exception to a permit requirement said "in your home."
It did not say "in or around your home" or the curtilage.
The exception did not say "on any residential real estate."

This actually became an issue in a few cases of which I am aware, so must have come up in other venues across the state.

Typically the cases involved someone acting out (drunk) in their yard while wearing a gun. Typically the courts applied the expansive "curtilage" rule to find it wasn't a crime.

I never heard of anyone being charged with a carry violation for open or concealed carry while on the back forty. The law has changed, but even under the old law, I can't imagine an officer making a case or anyone in the court system processing it.

The police can't come on your back 40 in a professional capacity without a warrant or your permission (exceptions apply of course as in pursuit of a suspect or distress call, etc)... Unless they are DNR law enforcement, they can go anywhere they want regardless of fences or signage, at any time without permission Silly me, I keep thinking we are free men in a free country.

The police can't come on your back 40 in a professional capacity without a warrant or your permission (exceptions apply of course as in pursuit of a suspect or distress call, etc)... Unless they are DNR law enforcement, they can go anywhere they want regardless of fences or signage, at any time without permission Silly me, I keep thinking we are free men in a free country.
No DNR has no more power than say the state patrol. Either or any other leo or citizen can enter your land without a warrant. If they don't have a warrant or pc and ask them to leave they must. A game Warren has no more right to your id or hunting/ fishing lic. than a local police officer. Without Reasonable Suspicion or probable cause to demand. You don't have to provide either just bc you are ask. They need a reasonable suspicion you are committing or about to commit a crime. And Ga code says it can't be solely because you are carrying a firearm.

If someone says you have an illegal bird in your freezer or mounted in your home the DNR can come to you and search your home without a warrant, period and you can't stop them. I know it happened to a co worker years ago before he came to work with me.
No, they need a warrant or your consent. If you tell them to go pound sand they can't search. They have to get a warrant or have a belief of imminent harm. Read the georgia code, and Constitution. They may have BS your co worker or he/she may have made it up.

Now we have a new line in this code section that adds "your property" to give further gun rights than simply "your home."

When this exception applies, it applies regardless of whether the weapon is exposed or concealed; whether it is quickly accessible or unloaded and safely secured for transport .
dont forget your business. you can carry at "your" business. not the place you work. if you own your own business you can carry on the property of that business,even if you lease the space.. the good thing about that is it allows gas station owners to carry.

You may want to consult a legal rep on this.....
The laws are tricky on conceal carry. My understanding is that you can conceal carry without a permit on your property like your home, car, boat etc. but your open property like your yard, woods, etc are not definded as the same as your home and you are required to have a concealed carry permit to carry concealed. Open carry is legal.
Concealed and open are the same in Georgia.

You're right,you guys on here know everything what was I thinking. It's truly a wonder I've lived as long as I have not being one of ya'll. Have a good day.
So here you go.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiGy_-noPnnAhVL5awKHX27B-YQFjAKegQIBBAB&url=https://www.swindlelaw.com/2014/11/georgia-dnr-officers/&usg=AOvVaw3YDYbVxEnEHm3tBPpnIiB1
so that sounds like sarcasm. but the link goes to a story on some web page about dnr officers being cops and liking their jobs. not sure of the point,but it was a story...

Back
Top Bottom